Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master, 30+ years exp. imports and domestic, former shop owner
2947720

Audi A6 Quattro: Car over heated last Sunday, took it to the

Customer Question

Car over heated last Sunday, took it to the shop they said my clutch fan wasn't turning on. Replaced that they took it on a test drive then the bypass hose under the intake manifold busted do they fixed that. YESTERDAY my car over heated AGAIN, as the Copland was pouring out I noticed it was orange and not pink. Could that be why it overheated again?
Category: Audi
Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you today.
.
It wouldn't be caused by the different color coolant.
.
They are sometimes bad about the radiators clogging up and causing an overheating. You can have that tested at a radiator shop or feel around the core when the engine is hot to see if there are any cool spots that would indicate a clog.
.
However, with any engine that runs hot, overheats or has been overheated it is best to check the integrity of the engine, (head gaskets and heads, etc.)
.
The first thing that you want to do is check the cooling system for any exhaust gases. Make sure that it’s full first. There is a tester for that, that you can get from Autozone for about $20. They will normally lend you the tester and you just buy the fluid for about $8. It comes with instructions, but there is a blue fluid that is used in it, if the fluid turns yellow, that is exhaust gases.
.
Block tester available is:
Napa BK.(###) ###-####
OEM/Block Tester AUTOZONE
Part Number:
27145
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Tools/Block-Tester/_/N-25dh?filterByKeyWord=block+tester&fromString=search
.
*****You will want to check it at different RPM’s and at different temperatures***
..
.
If there are any exhaust gases in the cooling system, that will cause more pressure than desired and will allow the engine to burn coolant and/or heat the coolant up too high. Most times not filling the crankcase with coolant either and not smoke out the exhaust.
If there are, then there would be an internal engine problem, like a head gasket or head.
Of course, you will want to make sure that the system is full, the coolant is circulating, and the cooling fan(s) are working.
.
.
Please don’t forget to rate the answer, **** THAT IS THE ONLY WAY I GET PAID **** if you need any more on it, I will be here.
.