Jake
Jake, Technician
Experience:  Over 30 years experience, 17 years with Audi, Factory trained
9204914

Audi A4 Quattro: We are having problems keeping our Audi running

Customer Question

We are having problems keeping our Audi running it turns on and stays on for about 5seconds then turns off.
Category: Audi
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for choosing “Just Answer” for your query. Yes, I can help you.
Based on your description it sounds as if it has Immobilizer and is blocking the running of the vehicle. If so there should be an orange warning light the shape of an automobile with a key illuminated in the instrument cluster after it shuts down. If the vehicle starts normally and shuts off after a few seconds or so, and this condition repeats itself as many times as you attempt to start it, this is the likely condition.
Are you using a different key? If you have another key try that first.
If this is your condition and you are trying to use a different or spare key, it likely has not been adapted to the Immobilizer system and must go to a dealer along with ALL your other keys for adaptation before that key will work.
If you are using the same key that has previously been working and now is not recognized by the Immobilizer, the reading coil in the ignition tumbler has "likely" failed. To correct this a new tumbler matching your key cut must be ordered and replaced. No adaptations are required if the reader coil/tumbler assembly is replaced.
If your condition is the later (same key, no run) sometimes flipping the key 180 degrees works. If not try another key if you have one.
I hope that I have answered your questions and addressed your concerns. Should you have any further questions for me, please do not hesitate to ask.
Thanks!
Jake
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That car sign with ignition did not come on but we have turn the key 180 degrees. We did change the computer cluster, could that have something to do with it? Would replacing the cam sensor help.
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.
If you change the instrument cluster, engine control module, or a key, the system must be read alter by a dealer. I hat exactly did you replace and why?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Replaced cluster because old one wasn't working correctly. (Not all instruments turned on). It wouldn't pass smog test.
Car ran for about a month, on the day I was taking back to have it tested car died while on freeway.
Expert:  Jake replied 1 year ago.
Ok, technically this shouldn't have immobilizer until 2001 or 2. I thought maybe you got a new style cluster?, but then it shouldn't of ever worked. The symptoms were identical to immobilizer locking.
There should be a code stored in the engine control module. Can you get a hold of a scanner and scan the control module for any stored codes and let me know what code(s) are stored? The described symptoms don't match any other "pattern failure" so I can't take a guess.
Thanks!
Jake
I'll be out most of the day but will check back this afternoon.