Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database

Audi A6 Quattro: what should compression readings be on a audi

what should compression readings be on a audi a6 2.8?
Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm here to help get your problem solved. Compression should be around 130 psi, no less then 109 psi, and no more then 44psi between cylinders. Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help. Thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

my readings are 120/90/125/90/95/118 1-6 but the leak down is terable almost immidiatly they drop down. what are your thoughts?

It sounds like you probably have a timing issue due to low compression and differences in compression between cylinders.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I checked all on were should be, im suspecting this engine is just worn out. also the pcv system seems to be horribly overloaded lots of crank case pressure

I agree the engine sounds worn especially with PCV overloaded. You can do a cylinder leak down test to verify air is going past rings to know for sure.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thanks I will please let respond allow me to rate your continued efforts

Let me know how it turns out or if you end up running into more questions. Thanks Steve.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

hey can u tell me what the running compression should be? also cylinders 2/5/6 losing comp through rings. cylinder 1 leaking ex valve. 3 ex valve 4 ex valve 6 & rings. I don't feel there is a practicle fix for this motor wat r your thoughts? there was two questions to be answered there sorry about that

I agree the engine is not worth trying to fix considering it basically needs a full rebuild unless rebuilds is something you specialize in. Running compression is higher then cranking compression so typically around 160-200. It is a 33 hour job shop rate to rebuild engine. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.