Marty
Marty, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE & Bosch Master Tech. 30 years experience.
13230946

how to replace air strut on 2005 audi a8

Hi, my name isXXXXX the air strut is a bit of a job on the A8. I've attached the instructions below. Let me know if you need anything else.

Replace Front Air Spring/Strut

If you would take a moment to rate my service today I would appreciate it.

Marty
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The air strut on the pass front side has a leak what happens if i drive it like that? I dont have the money to fix it
Hi, if the air strut is collapsed and will not pump up you can damage the tire or the fender if it rubs on turns. If the strut pumps up when you start the car you can probably get away with driving it for awhile. Also, if the air compressor runs continuously trying to pump up the strut you can eventually wear out the compressor.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Is there a way to test a strut without putting it on the car if i can find a used one or how long could i drive it like that, is there like a back up strut or something to protect it till i can get another strut
Hi, no there is no back up strut and not really any reliable way to test a used strut for leakage without installing it on the car. When the air spring collapses the suspension drops to it's stops and won't go any further down. As long as the tire clears the fender and does not rub on turns you can drive the car but keep in mind there is no suspension at all on that front side. The car is not really safe to drive that way and the pounding from the road can take it's toll on the other suspension parts.