AudiDoc
AudiDoc, Independent Audi Shop Owner
Experience:  I've been working on Audis since I was 18 and own an independent Audi repair and performance shop
14582033

Audi A6 Quattro: I have a 2005 A6 4.2 with a host of problems.Let

I have a 2005 A6 4.2 with a host of problems.Let me start with the MMI Display. It freaks out. Sometimes it keeps skipping by itself from screen to screen and the buttons don't work. It likes to choose the language it will talk to me in! The warning that right brake light and directional comes on periodically and they do stop working. Other times it resets itself when the car is turned off and on and they start working again...but not always. I get a warning about the anti-lock and parking brakes intermittently, but that too comes and goes. I should add that the control buttons on the console are failing due to beverages that have splashed on them due to the placement of the cup holder! I need to replace the entire component because cleaning it has not worked. I love the car but there are a number of other issues, rear shade doesn't work, sometimes I get hot air out of the side vents when the cold is supposed to be blowing, leaky high-pressure power steering hose, anti-freeze smell when heater is on...We are talking 140K miles but I still think she is a keeper. I am dumb for thinking that?

AudiDoc :

Hello, I'm Jason. I will do my best to answer your question quickly and accurately using the information you have provided.

AudiDoc :

Ok, so you're got yourself a pretty extensive list there

AudiDoc :

and expensive as well

AudiDoc :

the water/fluid damage is a big deal

AudiDoc :

MMI replacement is about $1400

Customer:

Yes, extensive. I've tried to find other answers but you seem like the best bet from what I have heard

AudiDoc :

thanks for asking for me :-)

AudiDoc :

The heater/coolant smell thing is worrisome, since heater core replacement is quite pricey

AudiDoc :

the biggest unknown here is the potential damage under the console trim

AudiDoc :

back in a moment....need to step out to the shop

Customer:

Can you get the parts for MMI direct of from wholesaler and install yourself? I have a friend who is a certified LandRover tech who would be able to help as opposed to going to Audi

Customer:

Or search for a wrecked car for parts?

AudiDoc :

Ok, so first the MMI question. I would not install used since they're problematic at best. Installing a new one does require dealer reprogramming

AudiDoc :

Same with the heater core....meaning, don't go used

Customer:

ok

AudiDoc :

Too big of a job to chance it

Customer:

yeah, probably just wear a sweater. I live in so cal

AudiDoc :

At some point though, since coolant flows through them full-time, there will be a larger breach, which will cause coolant to come into the passenger area

Customer:

ok. I've had that happen. It only smells now when it is blowing hot

Customer:

is the mmi under the center console?

AudiDoc :

Ok, got it. Let's talk steering hose

AudiDoc :

The MMI is basically the multifunction display

AudiDoc :

steering hose retails for $375, and takes about 1-1.5 hours to replace

AudiDoc :

only use Pentosin CHF11S fluid

Customer:

I've found them online from non-dealer supplier for about 200. Safe to use non-audi repair facility if they are reliable and trained?

AudiDoc :

sure, no problems there

Customer:

ok

AudiDoc :

Anything else I can help with today?

Customer:

the brake light and anti-lock brake? Are they MMI related? and how can I source an MMI without going through audi if i find someone who can program it?

AudiDoc :

Oh yeah, I see that now. Ok, anti-lock and brake light being on. Scan first using an Audi-specific scan tool such as vag-com/VCDS. A standard OBDII scanner won't communicate with the brake system

AudiDoc :

this will not be related to the MMI problem

Customer:

Assuming the intermittent oil pressure light is a sensor, what am I looking at to fix it?

AudiDoc :

You can likely buy a new MMI unit through an Audi online parts source like ECS Tuning or similar...

AudiDoc :

but dealer programming will be needed unless you can find someone with a dealer-level scan tool

Customer:

OK. I know those are elite

AudiDoc :

Oil pressure light would worry me

AudiDoc :

A test using a mechanical gauge threaded into the oil pressure switch hole is necessary here

AudiDoc :

and finally, the parking brake faults. These can also easily get over $1k very quickly

AudiDoc :

scan will be needed there also

Customer:

it leaks oil so I may need to drop pan and replace seals and gaskets anyway. Would that be a good time to investigate if it is sensor or pump, etc.

AudiDoc :

possible motors, and/or damaged electrical harnesses

AudiDoc :

yes, that would be a good time

Customer:

So, if I go into a dealer with this list what am I looking at for a diagnosis? What should I do, I guess I am asking?

AudiDoc :

I would strongly suggest finding a good independent Audi specialist......can you give me an idea of where you live?

Customer:

Altadena CA. Near Pasadena

AudiDoc :

one sec

AudiDoc :

Ok, this is a bit of a drive for you....

AudiDoc :

give me just a few minutes. Sorry

AudiDoc :

Ok, you will need to go to Van Nuys. I know it's a trek in your traffic, but this guy is the best of the best

Customer:

OK. No problem.

AudiDoc :

Talk to Mike. Tell him Bracketracer sent you

Customer:

Bracketracer? What class?

AudiDoc :

LOL...it's been a while. Mostly local, outlaw tracks around East TN, and some IHRA Pure Stock stuff in the 90s

Customer:

cool. well thanks a bunch. If you ever need some crusty demons videos or merch I'm your guy and I will hook you up. crusty.com. Free-style motocross pioneers. You've got my phone and email.

AudiDoc :

Nice. Thanks for the hookup!

AudiDoc :

And with that, back to my shop to crack a whip :-)

AudiDoc :

been a pleasure and good luck with it all

Customer:

Thanks. Take care.

AudiDoc :

same