Wolfgang
Wolfgang, Audi master tech
Experience:  Senior Audi Master Tech 15 yrs
19871424

Audi A4: I have a 05 audi a4 2.0 99,0000 miles. Has new pcv

I have a 05 audi a4 2.0 99,0000 miles. Has new pcv valve, spark plugs, coilpacks, and purge valve. The car belt tensioner was replaced because it was making a noise. The noise is back and the card idles rough when in drive and I release the gas.. At about(NNN) NNN-NNNNrpms and that is when the tensioner noise is the loudest. Any clues and what is causing this ?

Eurocar Inc :

Hello there! I'm Eurocar ! I will try to assist you as much as I can.

Eurocar Inc :

there have been issues with the timing belt tensioner roller making noise . does the noise come from behind the timing cover. an automotive stethoscope will help out tremendously to pinpoint.

Eurocar Inc :

if that is the case recommend to get the timing belt kit from an audi dealer with a water pump and perform the job correctly.

Eurocar Inc :

the reason why the water pump also is that the timing belt runs the pump. hate to do the job twice and pay double to get to the same area

Customer: This may be something I should change, however something is causing the belt tensioner to go bad and rattle. Do u believe the timing belt is causing the idle issue and the belt tensioner to go bad ?
Eurocar Inc :

describe the noise to me please . to make sure we are dealing the same noise.

Customer: The serpentine belt tensioner rattles in drive at idle and gets louder as I release the brake. The belt tensioner was replaced twice and the ac compressor was also changed out. How can I find out what is causing the tensioner to do this.
Eurocar Inc : Ok remove the belt and see if the alternator pulley is locked up. That pulley who or have a clutch pulley that would slip one way and lock the other way. If it is locked then replace the pulley
Customer: I have removed the belt before and the alternator pulley moves freely both ways. Am I suppose to place a screw driver in it and then test if it moves. Because I have and and really doesn't move.
Eurocar Inc :

Full Size Image

Eurocar Inc :

does your pulley look like that above. note the cap it may be on the end. does it have this black cap?

Customer: Yes but no black cap.
Eurocar Inc :

hi

Eurocar Inc :

so it has splines in the center right?

Eurocar Inc :

and around the brown section of it does it look rusty brown?

Eurocar Inc :

i you have the same pulley that pulley should slip one way and the other way it should lock and turn so if the pulley does not slip and if you turn both ways and feels locked the pulley is bad. that slippage prevents the tensioner to bob and make noise due to the undulations of rotational force.

Eurocar Inc :

just checking in on the progress . if everything is ok please leave "excellent service" feedback for the help given

Eurocar Inc :

thanks