AudiDoc
AudiDoc, Independent Audi Shop Owner
Experience:  I've been working on Audis since I was 18 and own an independent Audi repair and performance shop
14582033

Audi A4 Quattro: I have an 03 audi a4, b6 3.0, I did a timing

I have an 03 audi a4, b6 3.0, I did a timing belt and water pump service with all the pulleys, damper, tensioner and seals, rented the proper tools, crank locking pin and the cam shaft adjuster all of which i got from a place called blauparts. The job went great except there was oil leaking. Didnt notice right away returned the rental kit, thought it was an improper crank seal but after drawing marks to slip belt off a couple times and discovering it wasnt the seal but a piece of paper thick plastic that wasnt pulled off the back of the tensioner, that was included (i guess) for protection in shipping.
BotXXXXX XXXXXne in having to slip off the belt a cpl times to figure out and remedy the problem (no more oil leak)even with carefully placed marks to place the belt exactly where it was i believe we sliped a notch and although it drives great still it makes a faint clacking sound more like a slight tapping like horses maybe way off in the distance.
My question is although I want to correct this asap :SHOULD I get this done immediately to prevent valve damage cause ive heard that that sound is most likely the belt being off slightly, maybe a notch or 2 and :IS there any way other than taking the belt off completely renting the cam locks and crank pin again.
I will ad Ive been driving it around for apx a week now havent noticed any increase in the sound or change in performance but it stresses me to think i still could or am causing damage and if I am i dont want to make it worse. Your thoughts
Hello, I'm Jason.
I will do my best to answer your question quickly and accurately using the information you have provided.

I hate to be the messenger of bad news, but you really need to break this down again, and retime it properly. Any engine lights with correlating cam position, or cam sensor codes?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Jason, no there hasnt been any check engine lights until this morning, I just noticed the check engine was lit up. I have a code reader and it was shooting me p300 and p306 think the 300 is a general misfire code and 306 is a specific mis for one of the banks or particular cylinder.

I kinda assumed Id be having to do this job again, sucks but can you tell me, :If the timing is just slightly off (like a notch or 2) am I still risking serious valve damage if Im not able to do this job right away?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
yes. have someone who can complete the answer. Also what was answered was not done in a timely matter.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The reply I have for this expert is to just give me a complete answer and really please answer the main question that I asked at the very beginning and definitely the most important and time sensitive question that I had. Can you or another audi tech tell me if my timing belt is just slightly off the marks by 1 or 2 notches on one side or the other will it cause me valve damage to drive that way it is?? i have not felt any difference in performance and i just noticed the check engine light come on for the first time in a week.