Chris (aka - Moose)
Chris (aka - Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Audi tt: My 2001 Audi TT is making a clunking noise that sounds

My 2001 Audi TT is making a clunking noise that sounds like it is coming from the drive train. While driving I hear a faint clunking sound that increases and decreases with speed. It happens whether the clutch is engaged or disengaged. It happens consistently whether I am driving straight or turning and sounds like it is coming emanating from somewhere near the center of the firewall. All the cv boots are intact so it is hard to tell if it is a cv joint or not. Thoughts on what the problem could be and how to diagnose?
Category: Audi
Expert:  Chris (aka - Moose) replied 10 months ago.

Hello, I'm Chris. Thanks for visiting Just Answer.

You have been waiting an excessive amount on us techs to help you out, for that I am sorry. First off before I go into detail in an answer or an info request. I need to know, do you still need help? I realize you have been waiting a while and in some cases customers had to seek help elsewhere and or they solved the concern on there own. I and the website are sorry you had to wait, we do want to earn your business and have you log off with a great experience.

You are more than welcome to relist if you would like, do realize if you relist this will delay me replying to you even more. Also let me know your skill level so I can tailor my response to fit your needs. I work the evening shift, so that is when I will respond.

Thanks Chris.

>

>

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I still need help. I have a high skill level. I have done such work as replacing the front subframe, steering rack, rebuilding front suspension, etc.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Did a little more investigating today. I tried to wiggle both front axles. The right had almost no play in it at all. The left I could move in and out a slight amount fairly easily. Feels like the movement is in the outer cv joint. I get the clunking sound in a straight line and turning.

You need to get this vehicle up in the air supported by the suspension, not by the body so it can be listened to from the underside. The most likely cause is going to be a worn CV joint but its hard to only go by feel, so it would be best to also listen from under the vehicle while running in gear, you may need to drag the brakes to put some load on the driveline like a load going down the road.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

is it safe to do this with jackstands or will the vibration be to much? Also should i support from the control arms?

Jack stands will be fine and yes you will want to support under the control arms as close to the wheel as you can as long as they do not interfere with hitting the tire in the event you need to steer left or right with the wheels spinning to source this noise.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Okay, I was a little nervous about running the car on the jackstands, but all went well. Traction control was not too happy about me trying to use the cruise control, but I got it to stay on long enough to get a good listen. When I put my ear next to the left front wheel I can hear popping and clunking sounds. Do not hear it on the right. At this point I assume it is a bad outer cv joint. Any reason to suspect otherwise? Also, do you have any recommendations on where to get a replacement axle? From initial searches, there is not much cost differential to replace the axle (easier job) as opposed to rebuilding the joint (pia job). Your thoughts?

Replacing the complete half shaft assembly would be the wiser choice. There 39$ from www.rockauto.com

Chris (aka - Moose), Technician
Experience: 16 years of experience
Hello again Chris here.

It has been a few days, so I am just checking in with you to see if you still need help with the concern we worked on, and if not to say Thanks.

Also note we have about 80 categories from medical to boats to small engines to legal to whatever you can think of. If you have any other questions give us a shot with another question.

Thanks Chris
.
.