Dave Roe
Dave Roe, Technician
Experience:  Associate Degrees, Chassis, Engine Repair, and Powertrain
26442022

Hello, I had a question about My 2006 Audi A3, which has 110k

Hello, I had a question about My 2006 Audi A3, which has 110k miles. I am taking it to the dealer for a mandatory repair, replacing one of the belts. I forget which one. I guess at 105k miles, you have to replace it. Im also having some bulbs replaced and and other 105k service work. I think the bill will be 3k. That seems steep to me, but its dealer pricing. Does this sound in the ballpark? Im also considering getting the car "chipped" which is suppose to give 50 more horsepower. The price quote there was 1800 dollars, which seemed outrageous to me.

Thoughts?

Chris
Category: Audi
Expert:  Dave Roe replied 1 year ago.

Dave Roe :

Some bulbs are harder to access then others, so it's hard to give an opinion on the pricing fairness without knowing which bulbs were replaced. As far as the belt is concerned, was it a timing belt? If so, the labor alone is pretty signicant so that price may be about what would be expected. I could look up the labor times for you if you wish and you could compare them to the shop's hourly rate, but I'd say it's likely in the ballpark.

Dave Roe :

As far as chipping the vehicle goes, there are several factors to consider. While it very well may improve the power quite a bit, it can also cause warranty issues (check with your dealer) and smog inspection issues in some states.

Customer:

hello

Customer:

there is no more warranty, so that isnt an issue

Customer:

i was a little worried about degrading the engine

Customer:

causing damage

Customer:

glad to know the estimate sounds roughly about right

Customer:

i think it is the timing belt

Customer:

im tempted to find a third party mechanic, but i never have yet

Dave Roe :

That might be a good idea, although dealerships often have access to tools and iformation that are not available or too costly for regular shops to have

Customer:

yeah, i guess its a toss up

Dave Roe :

There are considerations as far as increased engine wear with chip installations, but I would need more information as to the exact chip before I could provide a qualified answer. Normally, reputable chip manufacturer's products are safe and reliable. For the price you mentioned, I would say that your selection is .likely to be OK.

Customer:

i see yeah

Customer:

thanks

Customer:

good advice

Dave Roe :

Is there anything else I can help you with, or would you like to switcfh

Customer:

all around

Customer:

i didnt realize there are options when it comes to chips

Customer:

that i would have to choose

Dave Roe :

Yes, there are types that can be programmed by the user, but that is pretty advanced. I would go for one that is preset and fits the performance that you are seeking.

Customer:

yeah, i would go plug and play

Customer:

thanks again

Dave Roe :

You'erYes, that would be advisable, and also select a service provider that would install it for you as well. Thank you very much, it was a pleasure to serve you!.

Dave Roe, Technician
Experience: Associate Degrees, Chassis, Engine Repair, and Powertrain
Expert:  Dave Roe replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much for your positive rating! It was a pleasure serving you!

Best Regards,

Dave Roe
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i took my car to the dealer and its 3750, for replacing the belt, fixing the bulbs and rewiring one housing for the light, a large maintenance checkup with fluids and transmission check and axill checks and a new key fob. it will be in the shop for 5 days.

Expert:  Dave Roe replied 1 year ago.
Mitchell 1 labor guide shows 3.4 hours to replace the timing belt and 1.2 hours for the 110,000 mile maintenance service. The 110k interval involves changing the spark plugs and cleaning the air filter according to the guide, but the dealership's reference is most likely different. I'm not sure what they're rewiring, but this sort of thing can get very complicated which is most likely why the work order is as high as it is.

It's good that you are investing in the complete maintenance service for the entire car. Parts for these vehicles are expensive as I'm sure you know, but you're getting factory original parts (OEM) which are usually far superior to aftermarket. When I am working on European vehicles, I insist on OEM parts.

Anyways, I hope this information is of use to you. Please let me know if you need more
.
Dave Roe, Technician