Marty
Marty, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE & Bosch Master Tech. 30 years experience.
13230946

Audi: I have a 1994 Audi Cabriolet I just bought and the battery

I have a 1994 Audi Cabriolet I just bought and the battery dies overnight. I found out the radio stays on all the time? What can be done? It should go off with the key correct?
Category: Audi
Expert:  Marty replied 11 months ago.

Marty :

Hi, the radio should turn off when you remove the key not when you turn the key off. If the radio remains on with the key removed the problem could be the switch in the lock cylinder or a defective radio.

Customer:

It doesnt shut off at all. It will go off only if I turn the volume knob all the way down and click off.

Marty :

I was looking at the schematic and it looks like on the 94 the radio could be switched off with the key. You will need to remove the radio and test for power on terminal 4 of the 8 pin black connector to the radio.

Marty :

If you have power at terminal 4 with the key off there is a fault in the ignition switch or lock cylinder.

Marty :

If you have no power at terminal 4 with the key off the problem would be in the radio itself.

Marty :

I would test it both with the key off and with the key removed.

Customer:

how do I get the radio to come on it displays safe?

Marty :

You are going to need to input the radio code in order to activate the radio. If you don't have the code you will need to contact the Audi dealer. They will probably need the serial number from the radio in order to look up your code. On some models the car has to be plugged in to the Audi tester in order to retrieve the code online.

Marty :

The following is the procedure to re-activate the radio if the display shows "SAFE". It is important that the procedure be followed in the correct order.

1. Turn on radio. The radio display shows "SAFE".

2. Press the FM1 and AM buttons simultaneously and hold until "1000" shows on the display. Release the buttons. Do NOT press these buttons again, otherwise the radio will consider "1000" to be the code.

3. Use Preset buttons 1 ... 4 to enter the four-digit code number from your radio card. Preset button 1 corresponds to the first digit, Preset button 2 corresponds to the second digit, etc. Each press of the button increments the number by 1.

4. Once the code shown on the display is correct, press the FM1 and AM buttons simultaneously and hold until the word "SAFE" appears in the display, then release the buttons.

5. The radio should unlock and be usable shortly afterwards.

6. If an incorrect code is entered, the word "SAFE" appears, first flashing and then continuously. You can repeat the above steps to unlock the radio once more, the number of attempts will be shown in the display. If an incorrect code is entered again, you radio will be locked for about one hour. After one hour - the radio must stay on and the key must remain in the ignition lock - if the display goes out, the you can repeat the above procedure to unlock again. The cycle - two attempts, one hour lock-up - still applies.

7. If you lose your radio code, contact your Audi dealer.

Customer:

what color is the wire in term #4

Marty :

I show it to be a red wire in the 8 pin black terminal.

Marty :

black connector*

Customer:

I have power key on at the red wire key on but no power if the key is of. The blue/red wire has 12 volts all the time key off and out

Marty :

Ok, then it sounds like you have a bad radio.

Customer:

does the red wire need power all the time?

Marty :

No, the red wire is on/off with the key. The blue/red is constant 12 volts.

Customer:

So the red wire shuts off the radio.

Marty :

Correct

Customer:

if the red loses power to the radio why is it staying on

Marty :

Because the radio has an internal short.

Customer:

ok got it. thanks

Customer:

I will just shut off the radio manually.

Marty :

ok

Marty, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE & Bosch Master Tech. 30 years experience.