AudiDoc
AudiDoc, Independent Audi Shop Owner
Experience:  I've been working on Audis since I was 18 and own an independent Audi repair and performance shop
14582033

Audi Allroad Quattro: I am trying to install a blauparts suspension

I am trying to install a blauparts suspension conversion kit on my
2001audi allroad ,I have started on pass front, I got the old airbag setup out,exchanged the upper mount plate to the new coil over shock, got it up in place the three bolts caught but not tight,my problem is, all other descriptions of thie process say to use a jack to lift the lower control arm up into place to catch the lower shock mount bolt, but my new set up is like 4 " longer than the old compressed( I guess) shock and I can't get the lower control arms n all that comes with it, down far enough to get the shock stirrup over the mount much less catch the bolt. I have an old school coil compressor, but fitting it all back in car with that on, thenremoving the compressor ,seams unlikely , incorrect and dangerous, I was thinking of disconnecting the sway bar but am afraid of causing further problems with evn more of my car disassembled, I must be missing something obvious ,the new coil overs come pre assembled so I think they shouldn't need to be compressed 4" inches anyway,being a plumber by trade I have some decent mechanical skills and usually due well on DIY but this is my first time with suspension work and I need to get my car back together,do I need to get the lower controll arm down some hoe or compress the shock?

AudiDoc :

Hello, I'm Jason. I will do my best to answer your question quickly and accurately using the information you have provided.

AudiDoc :

Ok, so just trying to get this all straight. You have the coilover setup already assembled with the top mount in place, correct?

Customer: Yes
AudiDoc :

I've done lots of these conversions (although not with the Blau setup), and no compression is ever necessary

AudiDoc :

The lower perch on the shock is in place?

Customer: That's what I thought, I just can't get the lower controll arms and all that comes with it down far enough to accept the shock
AudiDoc :

yep, totally understand what you're saying

AudiDoc :

So yours came assembled, just like they look on the left in this pic?

Full Size Image

Customer: Yes
AudiDoc :

Ok, so if you remove the u-shaped swaybar link, and loosen the inner bolt that holds the forward control arm to the subframe, you should get enough downward swing on the arm so you can get the shock on

AudiDoc :

That inner nut should be a 19, and the bolt head an 18

AudiDoc :

I believe. Or it's 19-19

Customer: Ok great I kept looking at that sway bar and thinkimg of disconnecting it but was worried about further problems,I have to remove bothe sides of car at same time for it to help right
Customer: The one you mentioned about inner bolt n subframe wich bolt is that ?
AudiDoc :

Yes, correct. So, when you get both sides assembled, keep all inner control arm bolts slightly loose. Then use a floor jack to raise ...

AudiDoc :

sorry, UPS just showed up

AudiDoc :

the bolts I'm speaking of are the ones that hold the control arms to the subframe (lower) and the upper spring mount (upper)

AudiDoc :

use a floor jack to raise the suspension before tightening the inner bolts completely

AudiDoc :

this keep you from twisting the bushings out of that car while you drive

Customer: Ok thx will try when I get back home