Anthony, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Automobile Technician with over 20 years exp. in this field.

Audi A6: what is proceedure for changing cam chain tensioner

what is proceedure for changing cam chain tensioner pads?

I am going back together with it and the guide I have shows 16 cam chain rollers are supposed to be between the timing marks. Mine was set at 15. Which is correct and if mine is incorrect, which cam should I rotate to get the correct distance?
Hello! Welcome to justanswer!

Does yours look like this in the picture below?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok, are you able to get the chain tight and have the arrows line up with the squares?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i stopped when I didn't have the correct # XXXXX rollers (pins) between my marks. I couldn't see the small marks on the cam before so I made my own marks. now that I see these. there are 16 pins between. I will install caps etc and see how it tensions up.

Ok, as long as the marks line up like in the picture you are going to be ok.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

it tensioned up nice. but turned as tightened cam bearing caps. is there a safe position to put crank in so i can turn cams back to alignment?

Yes, put the crank at 15 degrees past top dead center. Then you can move the cams as much as you want to.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok, past would be clockwise correct?

also - i need to replace 2 of the cap fasteners - is there a specific grade spec for these? I'm thinking not, with only 7 lb torque, but want to be sure.

Yes past clockwise...

As for the cap its only 7 foot pounds.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am ready to install timing belt. Is the correct cam & crank position to have cams both with alignment marks and crank at TDC mark?

Yes, for sure.