Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Mechanical Engineer with 20 years experience in the auto industry, 8 yrs in formula 1 engine testing
12772297

Audi A6 quattro: 2005 Audi A6 quattro, key turns, nothing happens,

2005 Audi A6 quattro, key turns, nothing happens, battery 100%, radio works, no crank, just silent, steering wheel and gear shift lever seemed locked
Category: Audi
Expert:  Matt replied 10 months ago.
Hello

If the car's not cranking then first check it can turned over by hand so double checking for any mechanical issues
If OK then check that the main battery cables are on tight and the terminals are clean and bright. Do the same for the engine / gearbox earth strap.
Then follow the main positive lead back to the engine and down to the starter motor, and check the connection at this end as well.

There should also be a small wire to the motor which should have 12V when you're turning the ignition switch to crank. If the 12V isn't there, check back along this wire for damage to the insulation or corroded connections

This 12V feed comes directly from the ignition switch so this may be faulty and need replacing

Check the resistance of the main positive lead that runs down to the motor as anything more than a few ohms and it should be replaced
Don't forget to try a jump start from another car / battery as its possible the battery is poor, if you have a voltmeter a healthy battery should read 12.7+V

also try substituting the battery for another as I've known a very flat battery to drag down the system voltage too far even with jump cables

one other thing to consider is that the immobiliser is faulty and preventing the starter from being enabled - however if the dash / ignition lights are on then this usually means that its off

If this is all OK then its possible the car needs a new starter motor
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Dear Matt,

Vehicle Settings (car) indicates that battery is 100% ? Have tried both keys, so apparently keys are not a problem. Does fact that steering wheel and gear shift lever seem locked seem strange?

Expert:  Matt replied 10 months ago.
Hello

I'd reccommend getting a voltmeter out and measuring battery voltage with that as I don't think you can trust the car system in situations like this
Matt, Engineer
Experience: Mechanical Engineer with 20 years experience in the auto industry, 8 yrs in formula 1 engine testing