Wolfgang
Wolfgang, Audi master tech
Experience:  Senior Audi Master Tech 15 yrs
19871424

Audi S6: hi.1997 audi s6 quatro.starting problem.

hi.1997 audi s6 quatro.light s went off as i was driving.nothing from the steering colomn was working,no flasher no beam no wiper.nothing but hi beam when pulling back lever.then pulled on the side road,car finaly stalled.lights and every thing came back to normal.but now it wont crank turning the key.battery is fine,

big positive cable on starer and on alternator i got 12 volts.so i tryed terminal #50 on the selenoide.(my test light is a 3 light;first light is 3 volt,sec,12 volt,third more then 12). only 3 volts on #50 terminal when cranking.is that enough volt to get starter going.also when i turn key to crank,my head lights turn off as if id taken the key out .but lights inside stay ok, they dont dimer down.help please thanks.and i heared the relay clik in the dash when turned the key to start.

Category: Audi
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.
it sounds like the ignition switch electrical part is failing, that caused the light and wipers failure. As for the starting issue, the lights dim down when cranking as there is a relay that redirects all power away from other accessories and directs everything to the starter, as it requires a minimum of about 10v from the battery (as well as sufficient charge to provide constant amperage while it is cranking)
After re-reading, it sounds like maybe your battery was powering everything, and you have nothing from the alternator- systems were cutting out as power dropped, and when you slowed down the engine dropped to where any minimal amount coming from the alternator couldn't keep up with the demand from the engine (spark plugs, etc need power)
I'd charge the battery fully, see if it starts, then check to see what your voltage is at the battery- it should be about 14v when the system is charging- if not charging, the voltage will slowly drop as you draw from the battery.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

my light dont dime down nether the radio everything( on);.in the car dont dime down.only the head lights shuts off when cranking ,my battery is full.my big cable is 12 volt all around from back to front of car.only my #50 terminal wire to selenoide is 3 volt on cranking the key.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

next day i started the car by compression by pushing it down hill, droped the clutch and vroum gone i went home ran fine all the way home alternator is charging my gauges show me so.but ounce i turned it off,wont crank again but voltage is ok.except terminal #50 is 3 volts on cranking.

Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.
Hello there! I'm Eurocar ! I will try to assist you as much as I can.
I do need your vin# XXXXX get the correct wiring diagram please
Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hello sir, here is the vin#; wauka84a1vn036309,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

how do i get directly on line with you guys ,thanks

Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

hello there ! checking on this now

FYI

Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

https://db.tt/4zq6oJAC

here is the factory wire diagram so we are looking at the same thing here

Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

https://db.tt/wycBQDey

here is the rest of the diagram for the wipers and turn signal switch

please review this first to make sure we are on the same page and let me know either diagram 1 or 2 is the better one and what page so we can review it together!

thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok.i guess i will wright down the steps that you will give me to do.

Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.
ok need to trace first the wire on 50 from starter to the ignition switch . while key on cranking to start you need 12 v on that 50 wire so need to make sure that there is no breaks in the wire . second off inspect the electrical connection at the ignition switch for any corrosion or melt down . please let me know
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok 50 wire has more than 3 volt less than 12.i have not cheked the ignition switch yet im getting on it,can the electrical portion of the ignition switch diminish my voltage to the 50 wire.thanks. coming back with results to request soon as possible.

Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.
Yes it can. Most definitely
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok, thanks a lot,im not finished with the electrical portion of ignition switch yet.and i was woundering ,can a bad relay as the j207 in the schematics you sent me, diminish voltage of the 50 wire also.. or a bad relay will just not let current passe .

Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.
Can be but that is an inner lock relay. Maybe bad wiring connection at the relay box. I have seen that
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hi, sir.the switch seemed ok,so i put my test light, in port #19 of j207 relay to see if i got 12v from ignition switch to relay box.and yes i got 12 v.so i tried by pass the relay 19 to 17 port with a bridge to see; why i dont get 12v at the end of the 50 wire..as i was turning key on and off 1 of the front head lights stoped working a few times.. then came back to normal.and i dont know why... but now ive got 12v at the end of 50 wire.put back the relay in place and ,still got my 12 v at terminal 50 wire.so my starter is dead.but why.can my electrical switch be intermitent faillure causing good or no good voltage randomly,and burne my starter as well as cutting of power to my head lights and steering colomn accesories.

Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.
There is also power going to the central locking module which also controls the lighting scan tool may be needed to see if any faults stored. Look at page 3 of second wiring diagram
You will see e3 turn signal switch
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok thanks.i dont have scanning tool.i will look at he diagram ,can the e3 turn signal switch be the cause of all this electrical mistery,or the electrical portion of ignition switch,is. sorry i cant find e 3 turn signal switch on the plan...ok i did find e3 on the plan but where would that be on the car and what should i do with this e3 turn signal switch please ,thanks

Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

my mistake E2 is the circuit!!

does the radio work key on engine off?

does the emergency flasher work?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hi sir.yes the radio can work with the key posotion on or off .and emergency flasher work also..meanwhile,i have change starter since was toast.now the car starts fine.but im afraid that i can burn this starter too.since the one i have just taken out did not seem very old at all.plus i am woundering if starter can cause my electrical probleme that i encountered to begin with.thanks ...my key switch does feel rought do,could it be possible when i was riding; that my bendix open in the flywheel and me not earring it or smelled it.and i do have good ears and nose,loll.if the key switch in your opinion is the cause can i have a replacement part number please.

Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.
Maybe. I'm here and the car is over there
Let me get that # XXXXX you
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.
4f0910132L. Is the part number
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hi sir thank you,but im still woundering if the switch would be the trouble of my lights and steering colum shutting down and burning my starter for no reason ..or can it be my starter that shorted and possibly shut down my lights and sterring colum accesories.i did change my starter and for now my car works.. but my initial question ...is what cause this.. so i know what to fix.. and not go thrue all this again..please.im guessing the switch but i would apriciate an opinion or a verdict of a pro.as you guys are, thanks.. after this answer,i guess i will be done.my audi is c4 model s6 i forgot to tell you sorry.is that part number the right one please.

Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.
That # XXXXX XXXXX correct part # XXXXX
The ignition switch controls the lights on the dash and turn signals. What happens is intermittently the contacts gets resistance then things do not work time to time.
Now that everything works it is hard to diagnose. Ign switches are common failure items that describes what happens when it acts up
Wolfgang, Audi master tech
Experience: Senior Audi Master Tech 15 yrs