Wolfgang
Wolfgang, Audi master tech
Experience:  Senior Audi Master Tech 15 yrs
19871424

Audi Audi A4 Cabriolet: 2003 Audi A4 Cabriolet 1.8T w/ auto

2003 Audi A4 Cabriolet 1.8T w/ auto trans

When the customers vehicle came into our shop it would idle but it wouldn't rev at all. We swapped the throttle body, accelerator pedal, cam sensor, air flow meter, etc with known good parts with no change whatsoever. A few misfire codes were stored in ECM and 1 or 2 faults in TCM but nothing pointing to an individual component, at least nothing our Ross Tech picked up, which we also used to live test alot of those and other components which returned normal values. Towed the vehicle to the local Audi dealer and was told that an internal transmission problem is the cause and that it needs to be replaced. Now I believe their diagnosis. I'm just in search of more info than the service advisor could tell me regarding the issue and was wondering if anyone else was familiar with it and if it was indeed necessary to replace the transmission to correct it.

Eurocar Inc : Hello there! I'm Eurocar ! I will try to assist you as much as I can.
Eurocar Inc : I do need a vin # XXXXX see which trans you have please
Eurocar Inc : thanks
Customer:

The VIN # XXXXX XXXXX

Eurocar Inc :

ok its a cvt !! that makes sense now. if there is a failure to the cvt trans the vehicle will not accelerate due to safety reasons!

Eurocar Inc :

it is built in the module software .

Eurocar Inc :

it will not allow you to drive this at all if the cvt is not fully functional!

Eurocar Inc :

there was an extension of the cvt transmission but it expired june of this year !

Eurocar Inc :

anything else ?

Customer:

Can you tell me which CVT trans it has? FSE or GGT?

Eurocar Inc :

ggt

Customer:

What do you mean by "extension" of the CVT transmission?

Eurocar Inc :

there was a warranty extension of the transmission till a certain date or mileage but you have passed the expiration date and no longer in extended warranty status

Customer:

Ok thanks for your help