John, ASE Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician, ASE Certified Service Consultant, 22 years professional experience
19563796

Audi A6 Quattro: 1996 A6 Quattro. error code 00652. Started

1996 A6 Quattro. error code 00652. Started out intermittently not shiftimg out of first/second gear. Turning the ignition off and back on fixed it every time. Now it is more frequent and does it after a down shift when slowimg for cornering or stop. Turning off and back on still corrects it but have had times that shifting to nuetral will also correct it.
Is it possible that a sensor is going bad?

Code 00652 is for the Transmission Range Controller. Those switches are a known failure on these cars. Are you attempting to repair this yourself or just looking for information? The range switch can be tested with the appropriate diagnostic equipment or can just be replaced and see if it works. Another problem that will generate this same code is a failure in the valvebody inside the transmission. This unfortunately is also a common failure and generally ends up either as a transmission rebuild or replacement with another transmission.

Let me know how you would like to go forward and I can assist you in location, replacement or diagnosis of this problem.

Thanks,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes I do intend to repair myself if time permits and would like to try replacing the switch before I go to transmission shop for rebuild,

I would also like the testing info. If it requires more than a multimeter i can probably borrow the equipment.

The transmission range switch is located on the body of the transmission near the left transmission support arm. You may need to remove the support arm and also support the transmission with a jack to replace the switch. The switch simply unbolts from the transmission and unplugs from the electrical connector and disconnect the shift cable.

Testing requires the use of the VAG-Com or some Audi/VW compatible scanner so we can read values out of the transmission computer. Basically, the quick check will be to monitor the block values in display group 1 channel 4, 3rd gear should read 001. Also, if you can pull the transmission oil pan and access the solenoids in the valve body you can check resistance of those solenoids. I don't like resistance tests much because they change with temperature and don't indicate what kind of electrical load the solenoid can carry. Especially in an intermittent problem like yours, if is is working at the time of testing, it will pass whatever test you run. So the VAG-Com is a better option so you can monitor the outputs when ever the problem arises.