Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master, 30+ years exp. imports and domestic, former shop owner

Audi A4: Hi Jerry, I have a 2009 Audi A4 1.8.T Recently, I

Hi Jerry,
I have a 2009 Audi A4 1.8.T Recently, I experienced intermittence screeching noise coming from the under the dashboard after turning on the aircon. The noise will continue throughout when the engine is on. The noise will go off when the aircon is turn off. Any idea what cause this?
Category: Audi
Expert:  Jerry replied 9 months ago.
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX X will be happy to assist you today.
.

There were a couple of bulletins on that. Does it seem to be blower motor related?
.

Does it seem to do it at colder temps?
.

All modes? (def. ac, heat, vent. etc.)
.

IS it like a wistling noise?
.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Hi Jerry,

Not sure whether this is related to the blower, but when the blower power was reduced, the softer the noise becomes.

The aircon is always use on cold temp (22- 23 degrees celcieus) and never on heater.

The noise can be heard whenever the aircon is turned on to the above mentioned, but didn't try on heat and vent. mode.

Noise sounds like metal object rubbing each other (not whistling but screeching noise)

Expert:  Jerry replied 9 months ago.
I see. The bulletins are mainly for an air type of wistling sound but being that it's intermitent, and more of a screeching it is more likely that the blower motor bearing is bad. Sometimes by turning or stopping the noise will be effected as the body does flex some.
.

The blower motor would ctually have to come out to be checked properly, (for play in the bearing) or replaced to stop the noise.
.

Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX X will be assisting you today.

….

I have the instructions for the blower motor in a PDF format HERE ..

If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation.

.

If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service.

.

Thanks

.

Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience: ASE Master, 30+ years exp. imports and domestic, former shop owner
Expert:  Jerry replied 9 months ago.
Hello Nic, Jerry here. I was just wondering how your vehicle was and wanted to see if you may need anything further on it.