Wolfgang
Wolfgang, Audi master tech
Experience:  Senior Audi Master Tech 15 yrs
19871424

Audi A6 Quattro: Audi A6 2006 107,000 miles. Have "Take load

Audi A6 2006 107,000 miles. Have "Take load off steering" warning message. Car won't start. What is solution and can this car be towed in this condition?
Category: Audi
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

Eurocar Inc :

Hello there! I'm Eurocar ! I will try to assist you as much as I can. Quality research = Quality answer!!

Eurocar Inc :

the repair of this is usually the steering column and the access start module that controls the steering column.

Eurocar Inc :

the vehicle needs to be towed flat bed only.

Eurocar Inc :

have you tried to turn the steering wheel while inserting the key does it release?

Customer:

Yes, steering wheel is locked and brake pedal seems depressed.

Eurocar Inc :

here is something to consider

Eurocar Inc :

for example you remember on the older cars with the keys you insert the key and it will not turn . you turn the wheel slightly to release the pressure on that ignition key cylinder to allow it to turn and unlock the steering wheel this can be the same scenario

Eurocar Inc :

like your tire/wheel is turned into the curb the extra pressure on the steering puts a bind on the steering wheel.

Eurocar Inc :

that is why I have asked to turn the steering wheel slightly to see if the electronic lock will release

Customer:

Yes, have tried to turn wheel with key in the ignition and brake pedal depressed. The ignition will not even attempt to tun on.

Eurocar Inc :

ok if that will not make the ignition come on then the steering column assy and the access start module needs to be replaced

Eurocar Inc :

expensive repair.

Customer:

Wheels are not against a curb and are turned 5 to 10 degrees only.

Eurocar Inc :

just an example of a situation i'm just giving

Eurocar Inc :

just to give you an insight of sometimes it can be

Customer:

Can you speculate as to how this system improves steering. What is Audi engineers trying to accomplish with this?

Eurocar Inc :

that lock is for anti theft

Eurocar Inc :

I understand your situation here . its not a common issue but I have seen this in the field

Customer:

Is this system prone for failure?

Eurocar Inc :

no its not . I have only seen 2 -3 of these in my years in Audi

Customer:

What is the approximate cost and does this repair make sense on a Audi with 107k miles?

Eurocar Inc :

little over $2000.00 . the issue is that it can only be done at the dealership due to the immobilizer programming after the replacement of these parts

Eurocar Inc :

not you want to hear

Customer:

Thanks

Eurocar Inc :

sure want to tell you the truth

Eurocar Inc :

please take time to fill positive feedback for the assistance given have a safe day!

Wolfgang, Audi master tech
Experience: Senior Audi Master Tech 15 yrs