FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFICATION, AA DEGREE AUTOMOTIVE/DIESEL
1627031

Audi A6: I have a 2003 Audi A6 2.7 T with 131,000 miles. When

I have a 2003 Audi A6 2.7 T with 131,000 miles. When I am running about 40 mph and the transmission is in 5th gear (5 speed auto) it seems to kind of surge faster/slower as you are cruising along, not a big deal, just wondering if this could lead to bigger transmission problems, it seems to shift very crisply when going up the gears in both automatic and sport mode.

FIXITMAN :

Hello, my name isXXXXX appreciate you taking the time to ask a question about your car. Can you tell me if the check engine light is coming on and if the transmission has been serviced regularly? What happens if you try to accelerate bast this surging?

Customer:

check engine does not come on, I have not done any servicing of transmission since buying the car in 2007. Occasionally I have the engine oil changed at the Audi dealer, Hoffman Estates Audi, in Hoffman Estates, IL. It accelerates fine, runs good.

FIXITMAN :

Thank you for the response. There are a lot of possible causes of this. It can be a slippage problem within the transmission or torque converter, especially if the transmission has never been serviced. I would have that done as soon as possible. It may help. If that does not help then I would suspect a transmission problem starting, but I have also seen a failing ignition coil cause this. Typically the coil will fail eventually and turn on the check engine light and set a code.