gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, Technician
Experience:  VW certified technician, Chicago VW/Audi Training Center, Seattle VW/Audi Academy
12249065

Audi TT: I have a 2006 Audi TT and Im the third owner. Tonight

I have a 2006 Audi TT and I'm the third owner. Tonight I had a new battery installed and of course the radio went into "safe" mode. The code was not in the owners manual when I got the car, so it's not an option for me to enter the correct code. Can an Audi dealership give me the code if I were to give them my vin? Or is there another way around this issue?
Category: Audi
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.
Ok- the dealership can do this for you, and I advise you to at least call them and ask- but chances are, they will try to charge you. You need to pull the radio out and get the serial number off the side or top of it (which takes a few minutes) but I have heard that dealerships say that they have to "hook up their scan tool" and then charge a minimum of an hour labor (at well over $100 an hour)
So- AUDI of North America will actually give you the code. If you remove the radio and get the serial number, you can call One Eight Hundred Eight Two Two AUDI. They will confirm that you are the owner of the vehicle and give you the PIN code to enter into the radio.
You can also (long chance on this one) open the trunk, lift up the carpet, and see if there is still a sticker in the spare tire well. The sticker that gets put into the owner's manual starts out there and is supposed to be put into the manual by the tech that does the inspection- but sometimes they don't do it, and if you have a great dealership like the first place I worked, they will actually make a second sticker and put it there just in case you lose the one in the manual.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the assist. So maybe I'm confused here, but I was looking at my Audi Sound System Operating Instructions, and that's where the code had been written on the inside cover on a card that you're supposed to remove when you purchase the car. And of course it was removed and put into a safe place...never to be seen again. Anyway, what I do have is a sticker inside my "Maintenance" manual. Might that be the sticker you mention? And if so, how do read it? Btw, I did look in the trunk, but I didn't see anything.

Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.
There are two stickers in the trunk on shipping- one is a large sticker with the VIN, engine and trans code, and PR codes for the accessories. The sticker for the radio code is smaller, and has the serial number of the radio on it, beginning with AUZ...
gomi_otaku, Technician
Experience: VW certified technician, Chicago VW/Audi Training Center, Seattle VW/Audi Academy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks again. I have the VIN sticker, so I'm still out of luck. I have a call in to the 800 number you gave me, so hopefully they'll be able to save me the trip to the Audi dealer. Not likely, but my fingers are crossed.