Chris (aka - Moose)
Chris (aka - Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Audi A5 Quattro: Danny, I have recently purchased an 2010 Audi

Danny, I have recently purchased an 2010 Audi A5 2.0T. A few weeks back, my "Low Oil Pressure, turn engine off" light came on. I had it immeadiately towed to the nearest shop that had some Audi experience. He measured the pressure (It was 12 PSI vs the Recommended 18 PSI.) He also noted that the oil pans and the timing cover had been previously removed, so it was obvious some engine worked had been proviously done. He recommended that I send it to an expert. The second shop ran diagnostics and came back with a "Oil switch" code. They changed the switch, tested pressure...still low. They then dropped pans and checked the sump.... all clean and good. This lead them to the conclusion that the oil pump is bad. They ordered parts, plus a "special tool" and replaced the pump (took almost two weeks to get parts.) After completed, the technician then recommend they replace the Oil solenoid (?) as well, which took another week to get in. They are not charging me for the solenoid... but I am at over $2300 for the previous work. My question is, how can I be sure that all the previous work was not just a complete miss on their part, and it was the soleniod all along? Thanks
Category: Audi
Expert:  Chris (aka - Moose) replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I'm Chris. Thanks for visiting Just Answer.

The only way to know if it was the oil solenoid all along is if you got a pressure reading after the new pump then another after the solenoid. This would be the only way to know.

In the event this repair does not resolve the issue then they need to inspect for damaged crank and cam bearings that can cause a pressure loss.

Chris (aka - Moose), Technician
Experience: 16 years of experience
Hello again Chris here.

It has been a few days, so I am just checking in with you to see if you still need help with the concern we worked on, and if not to say Thanks.

Also note we have about 80 categories from medical to boats to small engines to legal to whatever you can think of. If you have any other questions give us a shot with another question.

Thanks Chris
.
.