Roman
Roman, Technician
Experience:  over 20 years vw audi and porsche technical repair

Audi S4: 2006 Audi S4. No dash lights. Car starts and then

2006 Audi S4. No dash lights. Car starts and then stops after 1-2 seconds. Just replaced battery. Both key same behaviour. Cannot lock/unlock with either FOB. Only the traction control light is on the dash.
Category: Audi
Expert:  replied 10 months ago.
Hello ,
Here to answer automotive questions and make you feel comfortable and become familiar with your product

This procedure details how to perform a Throttle Body Alignment (TBA) on many VW/Audi vehicles. This procedure cycles the motorized throttle body through various states (idle, part throttle, WOT) to relearn their positions. Some examples of reasons to perform a TBA:

The vehicle's battery has been disconnected and re-connected
The ECU has been removed and reinstalled
The Throttle Body has been cleaned or removed and reinstalled
The Accelerator Pedal has been removed and reinstalled

In some vehicles, the car will not run correctly, or may not run at all without performing a TBA after one of the above operations. The TBA can be performed on both Drive-By-Wire (DBW or E-gas) as well as Cable-throttle cars as long as there is no Idle Stabilization Valve (ISV). If there is an ISV, then there is no motorized control of the throttle at all. Typically, '96-'99 VW/Audi have motorized Cable-throttle, and '00+ VW/Audi have DBW. Obviously, there are some exceptions. This should be obvious but TDI's do not have throttle bodies.

There are certain test conditions that must be met before doing a TBA:

No DTC's in the Engine Controller

Battery voltage at least 11.5 V

Throttle must be at idling position (keep your foot off the gas pedal)

Throttle body part must not be dirty (carbonized).

Coolant temperature must be between 5 and 95C

procedure for performing a Throttle Body Alignment on DBW Cars using KWP-2089:
(Check to see if the engine speaks KWP- 2089 by looking in the top left of the Open Controller Screen Some examples of KWP-2089 engine controllers are 2002+ Audi A4, 2002+ VW Passat, and Touareg)

Turn the key on but do not start the car.

[Select]
[01 - Engine]
[Basic Settings - 04]
Group 060
[Go!]
It should say "Basic Settings: OFF" on the top of your screen.
Click [ON/OFF/Next] to turn on Basic Settings.
It should now say "Basic Settings: ON" on the top of your screen.
Once you do this you will see the top right display say ADP RUN. The TB adaptation is being done as soon as you switched basic settings on. You will see the values change and hear the TB cycle for the first few seconds then it will stop. Leave it in Basic Settings for about 30 seconds.
Click [ON/OFF/Next] to turn off Basic Settings.
It should now say "Basic Settings: OFF" on the top of your screen
Click the [Done, Go Back] button and you're all set.

Be sure not to touch the accelerator and make sure the engine is NOT running when you do this!

You will need a scantool to complete the above recommendation

Roman, Technician
Experience: over 20 years vw audi and porsche technical repair
Expert:  Roman replied 10 months ago.
The fey fob is a separate issue.

You will also need to adapt the steering angle sensor to clear the traction light.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

What?? the reason I replaced the battery was because I thought it was the cause if this problem (no dash display except ABS, No traction and Air Bag lights) plus the fact that the car starts and then stops after 2 seconds.

The engine is begin commanded to stop for some reason (why??) is it the immobiliser? why is the dash no lit up (fuse is good). I've checked all other fuses and they are ok.

Thing is the car sat for a week without use.

After replacing the battery, now my remotes no longer unlock/lock the car (they used to work even though problems above).

I need to know:

1. why is dash not lit and functional when all other eleectrical items are working

2. why is engine stopping after 2 seconds? is it because there is a fault with the dash?

Expert:  Roman replied 10 months ago.

Answer

Some examples of reasons to perform a TBA:

The ECU has been removed and re installed
The Throttle Body has been cleaned or removed and re installed

1. why is dash not lit and functional when all other electrical items are working

You must 1st perform step one so that the engine starts and continues to run. Do you have a scanner to check the logged faults?
List them here for evaluation
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

no scanner. do you recommend any? used to have VAGCOM for A4 but would an OBD2 help?

Expert:  Roman replied 10 months ago.
when ever the battery is disconnected the module must have the basic settings readapted.

Vag com is the best to use. but if you can borrow one that is similar to vag com it should work

let me know
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

forget the engine for now. Why would the dash not light it when simply opening car door? this use to work and no changes were made, just that the car sat in the driveway for a week.

Expert:  Roman replied 10 months ago.
have you checked all of the fuses?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Yup. All on the left driver side compartment. Just wondering if there are anywhere else? this is 2006 S4 so any in the ECU box (under hood?)

Expert:  Roman replied 10 months ago.
yes, if all of the fuses are good you will need t test the circuit with a wire diagram. Do you have a wire diagram? You either have a loose connection a failed component or faulty cluster
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

so there are fuses in the ECU box under the hood? no diagrams.

Expert:  Roman replied 10 months ago.
There is usually 1 or 2 fuses in there. But not related to the instrument cluster