Marty
Marty, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE & Bosch Master Tech. 30 years experience.
13230946

Audi A6 Quattro: 2002 Audi A6 Quat 3.0 Codes P0301+ P0302 +

2002 Audi A6 Quat 3.0 Codes P0301+ P0302 + P0303 Misfire Cyl 1 2 3 all on same bank + P0342 Camshaft Position Sensor, P0300 Random Multiple Cyl, + P0030 N02S Heater control No Compression from the bank 0 PSI Spoke with Marty yesterday, great tech but I was able to get more info from my mechanic This is a car that the original engine was seized due a major oil leak, so I bought a "new engine" to have it replaced in the car and its been a freaking nightmare. From other forums I have read, when your dealing with 0 compression this is getting into serious mechanical issues and that is not worth fixing such as bent valves and cylynder heads ect ect HELP!

Marty :

Hi, I'm sorry to hear that you are running into more trouble with this. If you have 0 compression it sounds like you received a bad motor. If your mechanic replaced the timing belt before installing the motor he may have done the work incorrectly and caused this problem. If he simply installed the used motor without doing anything to it then the motor must have been defective from the salvage yard.

Customer:

Ahhh marty thank god your back lol!

Customer:

i have another tech saying this:

Customer:

Answer # XXXXX

10:14

Hello there! I'm Eurocar ! I will try to assist you as much as I can usuallycan usually if you have misfires and camshaft faults is due to low oil pressure
The cams adjust by the oil pressure so low oil pressure the cam is not at the right position and then the piston hits the valve
Sometimes the valve timing jumps too causing this

Customer:

Question

so all of this is related to the oil?

Answer

Yes that is the most common lack of oil pressure causes the cam to seize the jumps time then the piston hits the valve

Question

hmmmm, so should that not be evident to a mechanic? I am just wondering is there ANY thing else we can check as far as trouble shooting

thats seems to be a pretty "in your face" answer, amd since im not a mechanic....what do I know

Answer

A borescope Is needed to verify bent valve if the mechanic is not familiar to that engine It can fool

Customer:

what are your thoughts on this

Marty :

Hi, I'm really sorry to hear that this is not going well. You never know what you are getting with a used engine. Did your mechanic do any work to the motor prior to installing it? Did he install a new timing belt?

Marty :

I would not suspect that oil pressure is the main cause of this problem. It sounds more like the motor was already damaged when you got it or the cam timing jumped from turning the motor backwards or the mechanic replaced the timing belt incorrectly.

Customer:

he never touched the timing belt, he was going to but I told him its low KM right now so we dont need to

Customer:

so i told him not to touch it

Customer:

you are the MAN! I will always look for you with my mechanical questions

Marty :

Ok, then he should remove the timing cover and check the cam timing. It must have jumped somehow. I'm afraid that you are going to find bent valves.

Marty :

If the motor was never touched you should be able to return the motor to the salvage yard and exchange it for another one.

Customer:

do you know Jeep Cherokees? 2007+?

Marty :

Unfortunately I do not do many Jeeps in my shop. I am primarily a European car repair shop.

Customer:

ok well your advise is so very helpful.....discouraging but at least we sort of know where to go now! Thanks Marty

Marty :

You're quite welcome. Good luck with it!