Marty
Marty, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE & Bosch Master Tech. 30 years experience.
13230946

Audi A6 Quattro: 2002 audi a6 quattro, replaced engine car

2002 audi a6 quattro, replaced engine car is stuttering, all there cylinders failing on the same bank cam sensor throwing out code? this is what i ma getting from my mechanic?
Category: Audi
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

Marty :

Hi, and welcome. My name isXXXXX sounds like either the cam timing is off on that bank or the reluctor wheel that the cam sensor reads has fallen off the back of the camshaft or the cam sensor is bad. When he swaps the sensors he needs to check the reluctor wheel and make sure it did not come loose. I assume that the engine compression has been checked and it is ok.

Customer:

I Marty thank you!!!!! I have been without my car for a while now and I am hoping this will do the trick! Is this a long job to check or is it pretty straight forward?

Marty :

It's pretty straightforward.

Marty :

If he is only getting cam sensor codes the problem should either be the timing or the sensor or the wheel.

Customer:

I am waiting for the mechanic to come back to me on this so this is the first time me using this site so I am waiting to see what he says!!!

Marty :

Ok, let me know if you need anything.

Customer:

I will, am I able to get you back if needed?

Marty :

Yes you can always reply back to me if you need more help with this.

Customer:

ok perfect....so this whole cam thing would that make it backfire as well?

Customer:

the original problem was i hit a snowbank, and the original engine seized, from all the oil lost, so i bought one with 74,000 miles on it and this is were all the crap has been happeing

Customer:

and my mechanic who apparently knows audi is having an issue trying to figure this out which is to say the least ticking me off as I dont have my car

Marty :

Yes if the engine is only running on 3 cylinders it will backfire on acceleration. As long as the mechanic installed the same engine and didn't mix up any wiring this should just be a fault with that sensor. He should also make sure that the exhaust is not plugged.

Customer:

sorry "As long as the mechanic installed the same engine" this means same type for my car right? just double checking

Marty :

Correct

Customer:

what happens if the exhaust is plugged, will it need to be replugged after or leave it unplugged all the time?

Marty :

If the exhaust is plugged due to a faulty catalytic converter for example it can cause the car not to run on one bank. He just needs to make sure that there are no blockages in the exhaust.

Customer:

ok this is at least a starting point thank you very very much! I will start pissing off my mechanic now lol

Marty :

You're quite welcome. If you would please take a moment to rate my service I would appreciate it.

Marty, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE & Bosch Master Tech. 30 years experience.