Mike, Technician
Experience:  Technican - Business owner and Diagnostics for 34 years +..
9261905

Audi TT Quattro: how do you fix the glove compartment key lock

how do you fix the glove compartment key lock mechanism on my 2003 Audi TT. the pins which attach the lock to the latch broke off.
Hello ,
Here to answer automotive questions and make you feel comfortable and become familiar with your product

If the lock/latch mechanism is damaged the entire door glove box needs replacement. Unfortunately the the mechanism is not sold separately.
You may try to get only the door but you will have to ask the dealer. I am pretty sure that you must get the entire assembly. Make sure you have the interior color code which can be found on the sticker in the spare tire well and note is it is a quattro or not.

If you do not mind drilling the holes, it may look and work a bit funny. It is the same amount of work to replace it.

Let me know if you have further questions regarding the repair?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It will cost me hundreds of dollars to replace the door which is not an option. I understand from some other people on the internet that using screws to reattach the lock to the glove compartment latch does work. Since you don't feel this is a viable option, I guess there is nothing else a need. Thanks.

Hello and Welcome to justanswer..

The previous expert that replied to has Opted out of this question ..

My name is XXXXX XXXXX The following info should help you with this / your question -

These are the lock removal / replace instructions so they will help you with the dismantling / repair work however you decide to progress --

Audi TT Quattro 2003

Glove Box Lock, Removing And Installing

- Removing

Click this link HERE..

- Apply screwdriver to tab - 2 - and turn carefully to pry out glove box opening mechanism - 1 -.

NOTE: Lock cylinder is only to be removed with key inserted.

- Removing lock cylinder:

Click this link HERE also.

- Use screwdriver to carefully pry out retaining tabs - 1 - (4x) in direction of - arrow - and at the same time press lock cylinder - 2 - in direction of - arrow -.

- Installing lock cylinder:
- With key inserted, press in lock cylinder until all retaining tabs engage.

- Installing:

Click HERE.

- Position glove box opening mechanism - 1 - such that mounts - 2 - clip into retainer tabs - 5 - (2x) and spring - 3 - engages in pin - 4 -.
- Carefully press glove box opening mechanism - 1 - into glove box lid until both retainer tabs - 5 - engage.

Let me know if you need anything more on this at all -

You need now to click on the OK rating to Excellent ratings service for me now, Thank you for that... and you can get back to me anytime if you need / wish..

Best Rgds, MIKE.

Please note, you are rating the content of my "answer" - my help to you - not the "system" which can experience delays etc which are not under my personal control -or delays caused by "time -off" which we all have on occasion - Thank you.

Mike, Technician
Experience: Technican - Business owner and Diagnostics for 34 years +..