AudiDoc
AudiDoc, Independent Audi Shop Owner
Experience:  I've been working on Audis since I was 18 and own an independent Audi repair and performance shop
14582033

Audi 1996 A6 wagon: Hi..my daughters teen friend has an 1996

Hi..my daughter's teen friend has an 1996 Audi A6. She broke the left plastic arm that turn the lights on and off by moving up and down. She is actually able to stick it in and pry up and down to turn on and off but it won't pass inspection now and would be good to fix so it works correctly. A guy at a repair shop said it would coat a lot, around $300 for the part and more for labor. I was surprised at the price when I heard and would rather have her use her work money for college;), so I thought I'd check here. I am pretty handy and was first going to try to epoxy the arm back on where it broke at the end in the column assembly just where the white plastic piece is as well, but wonder what the replacement or a used part would cost (and exactly what it is called) and how to properly replace...tools, steps, etc. can you help us. Glad to pay for good advice. Rick

AudiDoc :

Hello, I'm Jason. I will do my best to answer your question quickly and accurately using the information you have provided.

AudiDoc :

Actually, $300 sounds somewhat reasonable considering the labor involved to replace the switch assembly, which includes removing the airbag and steering wheel

AudiDoc :

And especially considering the part cost is $219.40

AudiDoc :

Oh, sorry, I misread. They quoted 300 for the part, PLUS labor

AudiDoc :

got it. For one, they're overcharging for the part

AudiDoc :

Now, with that said, I can almost guarantee that epoxying the arm will not be a successful endeavor, as epoxy works well with sticking together two large surfaces, or works well if it's used to keep two parts from pulling apart linearly

AudiDoc :

but 90 degree force will break again

AudiDoc :

So to answer your question, the part is called the combination switch

AudiDoc :

the factory part number is XXXXX 953 513C 01C

AudiDoc :

Considering the new price is $220, you should be able to find a used one for about half of that

AudiDoc :

The identical part is used in the following Audis

AudiDoc :

1995 90 Quattro
1998 A6 Q

AudiDoc :

1995-1997 A6 Q
1997 A8 Q
1994-1997 Cabriolet
1996-1998 A4 and A4Q

AudiDoc :

1995-1997 S6

AudiDoc :

1994-1995 90

AudiDoc :

To replace, you need to disconnect the battery, remove the airbag, remove the steering wheel, remove the steering column clamshell covers, and then the switch is easily removed

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX seen a replacement part for comb. switch from a few places online for $130...and will check around for a used part. What do you think the labor would cost? I may still try some super epoxy...nothing to lose as I am aware that the the taking apart and putting together the steering wheel assembly, etc. is fairly involved. Last, can you tell me the tools I need if I choose to do it, or can you direct me to a site or specific instructions. With that I will be prepared to rate the answer...

I know its late so I can wait til tomorrow or tomorrow night (since I'm working then taking daughter back to college...road trip from ME to KY) but I will check email now and then. Thanks for your help, but no big rush...just want o help this girl out when I get back next week.

While I don't really have a tool list in memory, and service manuals generally never give tool information, unless it's something very job specific.

The airbag is held onto the back of the steering wheel with Torx fasteners. T30, I believe. Tilt airbag forward, and remove electrical connection. Again, make sure battery is disconnected.

Steering wheel then gets removed. There is a central bolt, and a few electrical connections.

Vehicles with audio coded antitheft system - make sure you radio code
Disconnect battery ground cable.
Remove steering wheel
Loosen clamp inside steering column cover, then pull cover forward and disconnect electrical connectors.
Remove combination switch.
Individual switches can be removed from combination switch by removing retaining screws.
Reverse procedure to install.