AudiDoc
AudiDoc, Independent Audi Shop Owner
Experience:  I've been working on Audis since I was 18 and own an independent Audi repair and performance shop
14582033

Audi A4 Quattro: I am changing ATF, front wheels on 8" ramps,raised

I am changing ATF, front wheels on 8" ramps,raised rear with jacks,checked belly with level,looks level, tried remove filler plug, fluid started pouring out at room temperature (75 F). Screwed in again rightaway. Tried remove center differential filler plug, same thing. It seems these are original fluids. Why overflow at room temperature when car is level ? Is it o.k. to check ATF temperature with laser gun shooting at the bottom of oil pan ? thanks.

AudiDoc :

Hello, I'm Jason. I will do my best to answer your question quickly and accurately using the information you have provided.

AudiDoc :

When you removed the large fill plug, was the engine running?

AudiDoc :

And I see you asked this about an hour ago, so I'll hold live chat open for a bit to see if you can join

AudiDoc :

Ok, switching to email format now. Need to know if the car was running when you pulled the plug

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Oops no, engine was not running. Can I check fluid temperature shooting with laser temperature gun at oil pan? Should not the ATF pan be at the same temperature as the ATF ?

Ok, so that part was important. However, it will be ok.

So the fill/level check procedure is as follows. And yes, you can use an infrared temp gun.

1) car is up and level
2) make sure fluid is cold, meaning car has not run for any length of time over the past 5-6 hours
3) get in car, start, foot on brake, go through all gear positions and then back to park
4) get under car, put pan under large fill plug, and remove fill plug
5) if fluid isn't dribbling out, fill until it does
6) monitor pan temperature
7) at 95 degrees F, install fill plug. Fluid temp should be 105, but the pan is a bit of a heat sink.

That will get your level correct.