FIXITMAN, Master Technician

Audi A6 Quattro: 2005 A6 126,000+- miles EPC light came on

2005 A6 126,000+- miles EPC light came on (did not stay) Engine been running rough at times - as though it was not getting gas (acceleration is often rough). Time to get new car?

Hello, and thank you for allowing me the opportunity to help you. If I am not online when you are, please allow me time to return. At this mileage this could have come on for a number of different reasons. It may be something serious or as simple as a sensor. If you want to try and figure out what it might be you should start by having the computer scanned for codes. Most auto parts stores will do this for free. If you have this done bring me the codes and I will let you know what to expect. Please let me know if you plan on fixing this yourself.

Have no ability to repair a car! The rough engine and sputtering are of concern to me. I am not a young lady, in Real Estate, and do not need to continue with this car if I am looking at a repair in excess of $400-500. If it is serious, what might that be? and what would you anticipate the cost to be? Perhaps it is time for a purchase.

With this many miles you are almost guaranteed to need something in the way of a timing belt, a tune-up or possibly an ignition coil. Any of these can easily cost over $500+. If you are not wanting to spend that much then you may want to get rid of it. I hate to be the bearer of bad news but that is what happens when this vehicle gets up there in mileage.

That is what I suspected. It has recently been to my mechanic (prior to EPC indicator) Engine was not running smoothly and he could not find any issues. I inquired about EPC indicator today and was told he would need to run test. That response diminished my confidence in their ability .

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I recently took it back to my Service man. The EPC light went off and is no longer an issue. The rough engine (missing) still occurs. Serviceman ran tests, got fault code (I can not remember it) which website indicated "no code found" He checked with Audi and they could not find it either! I am taking it in for him to look at next week. Seems to be a mystery to everyone. I have been noticing this for several months and only yesterday did it indicate a fault!