Mike, Technician
Experience:  Technican - Business owner and Diagnostics for 34 years +..

Audi A5 Quattro Cab: We are considering buying a 2013 A5 Cabriolet

We are considering buying a 2013 A5 Cabriolet with only 3200 miles. While looking over the service records we noticed that there had been a repair. The service department answered "We replaced the complete engine in June, 2013 per Audi TAC assist center due to internal engine damage from the camshaft adjusters".

We are spending a good amount of money and I'm not sure I"m comfortable with this. What are Audi Expert's thoughts. I'm still going to pick up a 2013 Audi A5 Cab or possibly a new one, so really want to know what an Audi Mechanic would do. Thanks, Kevin [email protected]
If the engine has been replaced, I'd feel pretty confident- it was done under supervision of customer care, so the local rep was likely involved and made sure it was done right.
While it may seem like everything should be perfect from day one, sometimes there are things that get by quality control because at that time there really is nothing wrong- it is just a fluke of something happening that causes a problem.
I would say, as long as you are getting it for a good price, and still are getting a warranty (possibly the same as original warranty, if AUDI had to buy the car back from the original owner)then you shouldn't have any issues.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Was hoping for a more technical reason for the failure. It seems that Audi has a history of camshaft adjuster failures. How familiar are you with Audi problems on the A5

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Other.
Have to make a decision in the morning and not sure I will get a response soon enough
Hello - and Welcome..

My name is XXXXX XXXXX As you have relisted your question, I can help you from here.

The Audi A5 range - with that engine, was subject of a "recall" by Audi - because early on, they became aware of a problem with the design of the camshaft / adjusters etc - They were getting failures often - and this led to the official recall.

What will have happened with that particualr car is - its owners were not notified in time -before that one failed... or, they were but didn't take it in in time before the failure - or, it hadn't even been sold and so the work was not done - before it failed. Whatever the reason that it didn't have the recall work done, it was too late and the parts failed - which wrecks the engine - hence, it had to have a whole new engine.

The new engines that are fitted have the upgraded parts fitted already - so there are absolutely no worries over that issue - you would be fine - and the car will still have its manufacturers warranty.

I hope that explains all for you -and helps you / puts your mind at rest re the situation.

Let me know if you need anything more on this at all -

You need now to click on the OK rating to Excellent ratings service for me now, Thank you for that... and you can get back to me anytime if you need / wish..

Best Rgds, MIKE.

Please note, you are rating the content of my "answer" - my help to you - not the "system" which can experience delays etc which are not under my personal control -or delays caused by "time -off" which we all have on occasion - Thank you.

Mike, Technician
Experience: Technican - Business owner and Diagnostics for 34 years +..