Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Audi Mechanic
Experience:  17 years experience as a auto mechanic, foreign and domestic.5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

Audi Q7 Premium: Audi Q7 Quattro

I have a audi Q7 4.2 fsi / tdi s line quattro 2008 reg my car some times makes a squeaky and chirping noise i think its coming from the front of the car as press on throttle noise gets louder then disappears it last 5-8 secs, it doesnt happen regulary it happend twice this week. I think its the fan belt. Does anyone know what the problem maybe and how much I am looking to spend to get it fix and is it safe to drive?

Many thanks

Saif

Category: Audi
Expert:  Mike Kelly replied 12 months ago.

Hello, welcome. My name isXXXXX will do my very best to
assist you with your question.

Does the noise seem to come more often when the air conditioning is on?

Also does the noise come when the engine is warm and cold?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.

Not sure about the air con never really checked to see if was on when the noise was happening. The squeaky noise was the when I started the car today soon us press the throttle the noise went up but then disappeared and then it made the same noise the other day while I was driving (the car was running for atleast 10mins) it may be the case the air con was on.

Ok the issue that you are describing is in fact consistent with the belt making the noise that you are hearing.The belt will likely need to be replaced as it either has a bad spot or has stretched over time.This repair will not be that expensive and will cost about 1 hour labor and $60.00 for the belt depending on the brand.Yes the vehicle would be safe to drive as long as the belt is still on the vehicle.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

Just came from my car the squeak and chirping is the now wen I turn the air con the noise disappear. Noise is the wen I start engine now for some reason goes when I turn the air con. But two of my neigbours said it sound like the fan belt is going but they are no experts. When u say belt which belt? And how many need replacing is it just the one belt? Thank u

The fan belt would be causing the noise and the reason the noise will go away when the air conditioning is on is because the belt is spinning faster,Your vehicle will just need the one belt replaced.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

I will be very grateful if u can recommend me a brand for the part please bare in mind I am reside in the uk/ London. Cheers XXXXX XXXXX all ur help. Much appreciated.

I would recommend a belt from the dealer to keep the vehicle with the original parts or use a brand called gates which is top of the line.
Mike Kelly, Audi Mechanic
Experience: 17 years experience as a auto mechanic, foreign and domestic.5 years running my own repair business.