AudiDoc
AudiDoc, Independent Audi Shop Owner
Experience:  I've been working on Audis since I was 18 and own an independent Audi repair and performance shop
14582033

Audi A4 Cabriolet: I have a 2003 A4 Cabriolet with 88,000 miles.

I have a 2003 A4 Cabriolet with 88,000 miles. We've only owned the car for 1 month and driven about 100 miles. The other day I put the car in reverse and it wouldn't move. It seemed to resolve itself. Yesterday the same thing happened again, but this time the P R N D lights were flashing and there was a rectangle surround the lights. Could this be the TCM?
Category: Audi
Expert:  AudiDoc replied 1 year ago.

AudiDoc :

Hello, I'm Jason. I will do my best to answer your question quickly and accurately using the information you have provided.

AudiDoc :

does your car have the 1.8L or 3.0L engine?

AudiDoc :

It seems that there is a problem with live chat

AudiDoc :

I will convert this to email format so you can tell me which engine you have

Customer:

Hi Jason, it's a 3.0

AudiDoc :

ok, sorry....

AudiDoc :

site glitches

AudiDoc :

so it's a quattro

Customer:

Yes

AudiDoc :

good, that's good news

AudiDoc :

so a few thoughts. The TCM hardly ever fails, unless there's a water intrusion problem under the right floor

Customer:

I'm sorry, but I was wrong. It is NOT a Quattro.

AudiDoc :

there are two connectors near the left front of the transmission pan. One large round, and one smaller......

AudiDoc :

ok, scratch all of that

AudiDoc :

so it has the CVT transmission

Customer:

Yes

AudiDoc :

is your mechanic very familiar with Audi?

Customer:

Well, we've only had the car a few weeks and don't have a mechanic yet. We did find a place called Euro Spec that specializes in foreign cars and he seems to be very knowledgeable.

AudiDoc :

Ok, that's good. These transmissions...well, they're problematic at best

Customer:

I've heard.

AudiDoc :

and require someone who knows them well

AudiDoc :

check engine light on also?

Customer:

No

AudiDoc :

ok, thanks.

AudiDoc :

So there's actually a possibility of TCM failure, which is complicated, since it's built into the trans case

AudiDoc :

but that is often accompanied by the engine light, when it fails

Customer:

What else could it be if not the TCM?

AudiDoc :

Possible transmission pump bushing, which would be apparent when taking a fluid sample and looking for metal content...

AudiDoc :

but the TCM is the most common

AudiDoc :

about a $1600-$1800 repair to replace

Customer:

We were quoted 1,400 for the part. I don't know what labor will be. Is there anything we should be asking the mechanic to check?

AudiDoc :

well, without knowing the diagnostic codes stored in the TCM, it's difficult for me to speculate

AudiDoc :

However, if he finds a P0706 code, then it's 99% the TCM issue

Customer:

Can I get the codes from an auto parts store or does it have to be done at a mechanic's place?

AudiDoc :

engine controller will only store *some* codes. An Audi specific scan tool such as vag-com is necessary to communicate directly with the TCM (or any other computer in your car)

Customer:

Okay, thanks! You've been very helpful. I may be back with some codes for you!!

AudiDoc :

glad to help, and sorry about the news

Customer:

Hey, it could be worse, right?

AudiDoc :

You're doing quite well with this, so yes

Customer:

If they tell me I need a new transmission? That's bad news.

AudiDoc :

yeah, that's a big deal

Customer:

Hopefully that won't be the case.

AudiDoc :

agreed

AudiDoc, Independent Audi Shop Owner
Experience: I've been working on Audis since I was 18 and own an independent Audi repair and performance shop