AudiDoc
AudiDoc, Independent Audi Shop Owner
Experience:  I've been working on Audis since I was 18 and own an independent Audi repair and performance shop
14582033

Audi A6: I have a 2005 audi a6 4.2 120k with timing chain.

I have a 2005 audi a6 4.2 120k with timing chain. The chain makes alot of noise at start up and now is throwing a multiple misfire code and runs rough at idle but drives fine at higher speeds. Is that a timing issue now? Can you tighten that chain without removing the motor from car?? how much should a job like that cost me?
Category: Audi
Expert:  AudiDoc replied 1 year ago.

AudiDoc :

Hello, I'm Jason. I will do my best to answer your question quickly and accurately using the information you have provided.

AudiDoc :

Unfortunately, this is a classic case of a broken chain guide rail, and there is only one fix that can be done

AudiDoc :

the engine/transmission assembly has to be removed, separated, rear timing covers removed

AudiDoc :

and chains/rails/tensioners replaced

AudiDoc :

there is no possible way to tighten chains or replace the broken parts with the engine still in the car

AudiDoc :

Here is a picture of the chain arrangement, to show the complexity of the job

Full Size Image

AudiDoc :

and believe me, I know full well that this isn't the answer you were hoping for

AudiDoc :

so I ask that you please not shoot the messenger. I have a ridiculous amount of experience with these engines and know their drawbacks quite well

AudiDoc :

I'll hold live chat open for a bit to see if you can join, and I'm happy to answer any further questions about this

Customer:

yes that wasn't the answer i was looking for but figured that was the case. do you think its worth to fix or go trade it in and get what i can. do you know the value of this car? good condition black s-line with exhaust and 19'' wheels

Customer:

how much does a repair like this cost/

AudiDoc :

Sorry for the news. I think I go through this news at least once every 6-8 weeks with customers in person at my shop. The repair can easily top 8 grand, especially considering parts alone are over 4k: http://jhmotorsports.com/shop/catalog/jhm-timing-chain-service-kit-for-b6-b7-s4-full-plus-p-957.html?cPath=21_56_61_240

AudiDoc :

so my strongest suggestion is a trade in

AudiDoc :

I'll check to see what these cars are bringing at dealer auction, which is often the best indicator of real world trade in value

AudiDoc :

average trade value with your mileage is right at $9k

Customer:

yes not with this issue tho. should i just hope for the best that they dont notice it but i do have check engine light now

AudiDoc :

yep, likely misfire and crankshaft to camshaft correlation codes

AudiDoc :

sorry about the news

Customer:

ok thank you for your help

AudiDoc :

sure thing

AudiDoc, Independent Audi Shop Owner
Experience: I've been working on Audis since I was 18 and own an independent Audi repair and performance shop