Roman
Roman, Technician
Experience:  over 20 years vw audi and porsche technical repair
35071616

Audi Q5 Premium Plus: hi i purchased a Q5, 7 months ago and

hi i purchased a Q5, 7 months ago and at 22,000km my oil light came on. i took the van in to service, where i was informed that there may be faulty piston rings and that i have to do an oil consumption test. the service bay topped up the oil and send me on my way scheduling the test for wednesday the 21st august. i drove an additional 2100km and the light came on again. my question is if the existing problem is worsening and if is so, what guarantee is there that changing the rings will 100% solve the issues.

Should i request a new replacement Q5? 

Is the 2013 model any better? or should i switch to another brand all together?

Hello ,
Here to answer automotive questions and make you feel comfortable and become familiar with your product

I have worked for Audi for a long time and my shop what we do to seat the rings is drive in a low gear as to not allow the trans to shift and drive high rpms slowly around for a few. Then re test the situation. That always fixes the problem.

The rings need to heat up and seat properly to prevent oil burning. BE careful not to over rev the engine.

I do not know what your dealer will tell you but this is what we did in san francisco

Let me know if you have any more questions regarding this subject?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
But in your opinion is the problem worsening, since initially the light came on when I drove for 6400km, this time it took only 2200km to burn out.
Subsequently do u think the dealership was in right to top up the oil and send me on my way, knowing that this was a pressing issue.
the situation is the same, the dealer should have noted the oil level when you came in and told you to come back and do not add any oil. Then they will check the level again against their specifications.Either tell you the there is not a problem and it is normal or suggest a repair.

If you want to fix it yourself, try my suggestion.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Is doing this repair a permanent solution or is there the possibility of the oil burning out recurring?
Was this issue rectified with the 2013 model?
Does the 3.0T petrol have this issue as well?
permanent, the rings need to seat properly. They were not seated during manufacture. You are not the only person to have this dilemma. Every Audi engine since 2008 is problematic with oil consumption.

It is normal to burn 1 quart every 1000 miles
or
1.60934 kilometers
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Sir I am aware that I am not the only person with this problem, however I did spend a lot of money for product which is faulty. Therefore based on your answer this is NOT a solution but a fix and the problem will reoccur, additionally switching to the 3.0T petrol is not going to help me.
Therefore I am now understanding that I will have to change my vehicle to anything other than an Audi. Correct ?
You are the owner and can make what ever decision concerning the repair or purchase of a different vehicle if you like. Any Audi that you but will have the same issue.

Are you sure that the manufacturer does not consider this a normal situation?

Have you gone back to the dealer for the additional testing to find out the result?

You will need to know if it is a problem or if it is considered a normal situation by the manufacturer.

If they state it is normal ask them for the literature which states so.
If not as them what they will do to repair the issue?

You and the manufacturer may disagree on whether it is a 'faulty' issue but you will need the literature stating so rather than taking someones word.

All cars have issues, do you want to deal with them is the question.

The 2.0 and 3.0T all of the different engines with FSI use additional oil,depending on driving habits, ambient temperature and condition of the vehicle.

Ask the dealer for the oil consumption test results