Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

Audi A4 Quattro: How hard do I have to turn the crankshaft

How hard do I have to turn the crankshaft by hand to get to TDC before doing a timing belt change?
Category: Audi
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm here to help get your problem solved. Did the timing belt break or are you just replacing it? Is the old timing belt still installed? Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I was in the middle of debating the free unlimited trial here when I saw this question. How much can we chat on here before it cuts me off?

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
We can chat as long as needed. Did the timing belt break or are you just replacing it? Is the old timing belt still installed? Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Old belt is installed. A little back story....

I have several bent valves on the 3.0L motor that came in this b6 and I decided to swap a 2.7tt from an 01 s4.

The engine came from a reputable place with near perfect leakdown and compression.

Unfortunately when I got the engine home a tow strap broke and the motor dropped 3ft breaking the right valve cover and rear cap. I was worried I messed up the whole engine but it looks to be those two things only. I have been told by several people that most likely the inside of the motor is fine.

I have the engine on a stand now and have begun the process of a timing belt change. I have removed the acc belt and am at the point of hand turning to TDC. I can move it a little but I don't want to force it.

Most things I have read about stuck crankshafts involve bent valves and I am worried

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
It shouldn't come to a complete stop like your describing, it does sound like a bent valve or a jumped timing belt. Have you pulled timing covers and valve covers off?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The rear timing covers (inside)? Valve cover is off on the side that broke, coilpaks and plugs are all out.

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Have you checked to see if all the rocker arms move when turning the engine?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no. So with both valve covers off I can move the crank back and forth the 90 degrees and see if all the rocker arms move?

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Yes you should be able to see them move a little. Another thing you can do is remove all of the spark plugs. If it was just high compression then removing the spark plugs should make it turn over easily. Let me know, thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

already removed spark plugs and no change. I will see about the moving arms

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
If its not turning with spark plugs removed something is going on. At this point I would remove the belt and see if you can get each sprocket to line up one at a time, if not your going to need to check out the valves. It definitely sounds like valves hitting pistons, now just need to figure out why. Let me know how it goes or if you run into questions, thanks Kyle.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have the valve covers off and I can see that the cams are moving at the same rate. Their are also markings on the cam chain and marker to show that they are lined up.

The point where it gets hard to turn is when the right cam chain tensioner seems to be at it's peak height. Is there greater resistance when it goes from high to low? As in, am I pushing hard enough?

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
If marks are good, rocker arms are moving, and valves are moving then everything appears to be normal and you need to turn it harder. If the valves were hitting the pistons you would feel a obvious hit while trying to turn the crank. Let me know how it goes or if you run into questins, thanks.
Dan, Technician
Experience: Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database