Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Audi Mechanic
Experience:  17 years experience as a auto mechanic, foreign and domestic.5 years running my own repair business.

Audi Q7 Premium: Hi, I have a 2009 Q7 with 85K miles and the

Hi, I have a 2009 Q7 with 85K miles and the MIL came on today. Gas cap is on tight. I'll admit I haven't done the most recent scheduled service and the service due light has come on the past few months. Thoughts? My OBD2 code reader didn't come up with any codes either.
Category: Audi
Expert:  Mike Kelly replied 11 months ago.

Hello, welcome. My name isXXXXX will do my very best to
assist you with your question.

The MIL light is designed to come on after the service is overdue and since there is no codes in the system this is why the light has come on.The light will likely go back off on its on and then return again until the service is performed.Its just a way the system is set up to get you to bring the vehicle back to the dealer for the service.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Every so often I also smell gas while I'm driving. It's not terribly strong but it's noticeably different that exhaust from cars ahead of me. Any chance there's a connection?

There is a chance that they are connected but unlikely because there is no trouble code being stored.The injector O-rings are known to leak on these vehicles and this might be the smell you are smelling every now and then.Unless the o-ring is blown off it wont leak all the time.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Thanks Mike. One last question if you don't mind. I was driving on the freeway this week at a constant speed of 60-65mph and the engine seemed to sputter or hesitate a few times. May just be a bad tank of gas but thought I'd ask. Thanks again.

This could also come from a leaking o-ring on the injector however as a first step I would suggest a fuel injector cleaner just to start with the basics first.Thank you.

Mike Kelly, Audi Mechanic
Experience: 17 years experience as a auto mechanic, foreign and domestic.5 years running my own repair business.