Roman
Roman, Technician
Experience:  over 20 years vw audi and porsche technical repair

Audi A8L: I have a 2004 Audi A8L. Yesterday, after a car wash,

I have a 2004 Audi A8L. Yesterday, after a car wash, the auto leveling suspension lowered after traveling 75 mph for 30 secs (normal), however, it never raised to normal when I slowed (not normal). I also notice that the "vehicle settings" button (labeled "car") on the MMI will no longer engage or light. I tried resetting the MMI with no avail. All other system appear to be working and a system check reveals no issues. Any ideas?
Category: Audi
Expert:  Roman replied 11 months ago.
Hello ,
Here to answer automotive questions and make you feel comfortable and become familiar with your product

do you have access to a scantool?

can you list the logged faults here for evaluation?

We will need them to start a correct diagnosis
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I do not have immediate access to a scan tool, however, let me see if I can dig one up. Probably be 1 day before I can get you the results.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Roman. Just scanned clean. No faults found. What other info can I supply?

Expert:  Roman replied 11 months ago.
what kind of scan tool did you use. Because I can be certain there are logged faults
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Roman: I'm using an Actron CP9580AL scan tool. Do I need to take it to an Audi dealer to get it scanned or can you recommend another scan tool?

Thanks, b

Expert:  Roman replied 11 months ago.
I am not surre if that particular tool can access all areas of control modules like the factory tools can or like vag com can. It may be limited to a very few options.

I recommend that you purchase vag com if you are an Avid Audi car owner.

http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/index.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VAG-COM

You can also go to pepboys or autozone or aamco to see if they can scan it for free.
Expert:  Roman replied 11 months ago.
how is it going?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

So I took the car to both pepboys (tech wasn't available) and autozone (used the same tool, no codes). I will take it tomorrow back to pepboys or to aamco. I think I'll also buy a vag com tool, but that will take some time to get.

I'll keep search for the right scan tool.

Expert:  Roman replied 11 months ago.
its fine just let me know when you are ready?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Roman: I took my audi to a dealer. They read the computer there were 3 faults:

1. the motor mount sensors were giving a crash indicator and appeared to be compressed. They said this was not critical. They gave me a code of -P1577 Right Motor Mount Open (not sure if that was the error code or their estimate code)

2. The "Right MMI Switch Panel" was not working (the car button is not operable) and needs to be replaced ($754.56 for the MMI Board (part #4E1 919 612H), plus $456 labor. They gave me a code of 00457 - Vehicle MMI Button Stuck.

3. The recommended replacement of the Suspension Compressor ($1625 parts and $216 in labor). They gave me a code of 01772 Level Pressure Sensor Too Low.

I had the oil changed, filters, etc. After they returned the vehicle, it appears to not be in "squat position" any more. However, the MMI Car button does not work and the suspension no longer adjusts when I hit 75Mph for an extended period of time. Which I really dont care about with such a high mileage car - although I did enjoy the performance associated with that feature.

It's ironic to me that the Suspension Compressor and the MMI button would fail at exactly the same time. Is the MMI button something I can resolve myself? Any advice?

Expert:  replied 11 months ago.
The MMI button is not difficult to replace. If you are careful not to damage anything in the process and have patience for working with small screws and tool you can do it.

If you are not comfortable with spending the money on the suspension you don't have to, but it will not work as designed. The motor mount is not necessary to replace. You may notice some extra vibrations as the mount soften this feeling. Maybe you will not notice it.

The parts have just failed and it's coincidence, nothing more.

Sire you have the part number and you want to save some money try looking on line or on ebay for the switch.

Roman, Technician
Experience: over 20 years vw audi and porsche technical repair