AudiDoc
AudiDoc, Independent Audi Shop Owner
Experience:  I've been working on Audis since I was 18 and own an independent Audi repair and performance shop
14582033

Audi A6 Quattro: 2001 Audi A6 2.7, went to car today put in

2001 Audi A6 2.7, went to car today put in key, car wouldn't start and now the dash lights are remaining on. Door chime, chimes when door is open and key is now in my pocket. Help?
Hello, I'm Jason.
I will do my best to answer your question quickly and accurately using the information you have provided.

This sounds like a rare case of a failed ignition switch. There are 3 components to the switch assembly.
1) ignition tumbler that you insert the key into
2) steering lock
3) ignition switch electrical part.

It's likely 3 that is broken. They're made of plastic and can develop a crack in it, which then causes the switch contacts to stay in the on position.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for the quick response, we replaced the ignition switch. You can start the car with the switch out of the tumbler with a screwdriver. However, when the switch is in the tumbler you can't start it with the key? Any idea.

Only other possibility I can think of us a broken steering lock. There is a rod in it that connects the tumbler to the switch.