AudiDoc
AudiDoc, Independent Audi Shop Owner
Experience:  I've been working on Audis since I was 18 and own an independent Audi repair and performance shop
14582033

Audi: 2001 Audi a4 2.8. Airbag control module went bad-replaced

2001 Audi a4 2.8. Airbag control module went bad-replaced with used one and cleared codes. It gives code

Thursday,08,August,2013,16:33:41:63715
VCDS Version: Release 11.11.6

Address 15: Airbags Labels: 8D0-959-655-AI8.lbl
Control Module Part Number: 8D0 959 655 G
Component and/or Version: Airbag Front+Kopf 2002
Software Coding: 00306
Work Shop Code: WSC 63351
VCID: 3A7BE4C925A77AC82EF
1 Fault Found:

01213 - Belt Tensioner Igniter; Rear Middle (N198)
36-00 - Open Circuit

What is this since there is no rear middle tensioner in this car?
Also tried to recode but wouldnt take
Category: Audi
Expert:  Anthony replied 1 year ago.
Hello! Welcome back to justanswer!

The module cant be coded twice. You are going to have to use a new module in order to get it right again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry but that doesnt make sense. I have replaced many a control module and not had any problems. Also hundreds of used ones are sold and reused. Does it need to be recoded? why is it giving me that fault code anyway? is it really middle tensioner?

Expert:  Anthony replied 1 year ago.
Does the vin in the airbag module match the vin of the car?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

where do I check that?

Expert:  Anthony replied 1 year ago.
VCID: 3A7BE4C925A77AC82EF

Does this match the vin on the windshield?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thats not a vin # An audi of this age starts with WAU and ends with 6 numbers

Expert:  Anthony replied 1 year ago.
I'm going to opt out of this one and put it back on the list so another expert can try.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thanks

Expert:  Anthony replied 1 year ago.
No problem. Good luck with getting it right.
Expert:  AudiDoc replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Jason.
I will do my best to answer your question quickly and accurately using the information you have provided.

Mark, did you try 00104?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Just did, it doesnt seem to take it

Expert:  AudiDoc replied 1 year ago.
Any chance of plugging the old module in and reading the part number and coding off of it? Copy the read in your response?

Thanks
J
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

part number same code is 00304

Expert:  AudiDoc replied 1 year ago.
Huh. Interesting.

So, this should be the equipment fitted to the car, according to the old coding:
Vehicles with front airbags, front side airbags, front seat belt tensioners, side curtain airbags two rear seat belt tensioners

Definitely no middle tensioner.

So, let's try this. Disconnect battery cables, jumper them together for a few seconds. Reconnect, then key on, door shut. Go to address 15, read codes, clear codes, then go to 07-coding. Input 00304, press "do it". What happens then?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

didnt take it and code comes right back

Expert:  AudiDoc replied 1 year ago.
Ok, one other possibility. When you're in the coding screen, change the workshop code to 12345, and try to recode the module to 00304 again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

didnt take it

Expert:  AudiDoc replied 1 year ago.
Damn.
I've never really had any problems recoding these in the past. What was the problem with the original module? 65535 error?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes the death code

Expert:  AudiDoc replied 1 year ago.
Man, I hate to say this, but I think you're going to have to source another module. They can typically be recoded, no problem, but sounds like the one you have isn't allowing it for whatever reason.
AudiDoc, Independent Audi Shop Owner
Experience: I've been working on Audis since I was 18 and own an independent Audi repair and performance shop