AudiDoc
AudiDoc, Independent Audi Shop Owner
Experience:  I've been working on Audis since I was 18 and own an independent Audi repair and performance shop
14582033

Audi A4 Quattro: When idle, my audi A4 1.8T 2003 138,xxx miles,

When idle, my audi A4 1.8T 2003 138,xxx miles, my rpms do not stay steady. Instead, they drop or shake around 800-900 and most of the time it drops so low it stalls. When driving, when I shift to neutral to come to a complete stop, it'll stall because of this issue.
Category: Audi
Expert:  AudiDoc replied 1 year ago.

AudiDoc :

Hello, I'm Jason. I will do my best to answer your question quickly and accurately using the information you have provided.

AudiDoc :

Can I assume there is or has been a check engine light on?

AudiDoc :

Also, did the Audi dealer perform an intake smoke test?

Customer:

sometimes there is a check engine light but it never stays on more than 10 seconds. no, they did not.

AudiDoc :

ok, it sounds like this dealer isn't interested in doing a proper diagnosis. Do you happen to know the fault codes that are stored?

AudiDoc :

Even if the light comes on briefly, the code will be stored for retrieval

Customer:

I have no other lights on on my dashboard and they said there was no fault codes on it.

AudiDoc :

ok, but you're sure the engine light was on. Which means that your dealer is not being straight with you

Customer:

I live two hours away from the audi dealer so you can imagine how inconvenient it is for me to go there. Ive gone there twice and both time they said they dont know.

Customer:

The car will work just fine after I take it there but as soon as two or three days the problem reappears

AudiDoc :

so here's what I can do. It's not much, but I can arm you with information

AudiDoc :

especially since I don't know the fault codes

AudiDoc :

but I do know these cars very well

AudiDoc :

first thing I want to try to do is find you a competent non-dealer Euro/Audi shop

AudiDoc :

and then give you some potential failure causes

Customer:

ok

AudiDoc :

can you give me an idea of where you live in the country?

Customer:

I am a Marine stationed in Camp Lejeune.

Customer:

thats Jacksonville, NC 28546

AudiDoc :

SC, right?

AudiDoc :

NC

AudiDoc :

ok, got it. Good friend was down there not long ago

Customer:

Please help me, I am at the verge of losing because I have repaired so much on it and its not even drivable in the condition it is much less sellable.

AudiDoc :

I'll do my best. Sit tight

Customer:

I bought it for 6,350 but I dont think I could even get 5 for how it is right now.

Customer:

ok

AudiDoc :

Willing to travel the hour to Greenville or Wilmington?

Customer:

I took it to the WV and Audi dealer in Greenville. I can go to Wilmington.

Customer:

Its called Joe Pecheles where I went in Greenville

AudiDoc :

Ok, let's stay away from the dealer, obviously

AudiDoc :

the first one would be the best

AudiDoc :

Now, let's talk about possible causes

Customer:

ok

AudiDoc :

the most common, by far....unmetered intake air leak

AudiDoc :

so, downstream of the air mass meter

AudiDoc :

often caused by broken crankcase ventilation hoses or valves

AudiDoc :

Easily found by doing an intake smoke test

AudiDoc :

make sure you mention this to the first shop

AudiDoc :

usually the fault codes related to this will read out as "long term fuel trim-lean"

Customer:

if this were to be the case. How much is it going to cost me?

Customer:

educatedly guessed.

AudiDoc :

PCV replacement in these sucks, to be blunt

AudiDoc :

$750 parts and labor. The hoses are ridiculously priced

AudiDoc :

and have to be heat shrinked together

Customer:

Wow...

Customer:

and thats the most likely cause you can think of?

AudiDoc :

by far

Customer:

Hypothetically, what if it's not that?

AudiDoc :

especially with the sporadic engine light

AudiDoc :

and the dealer not wanting to get into it

Customer:

I assume they would know right?

AudiDoc :

Dealers like to fix problems when the code essentially says "xxxxx part has failed"

Customer:

True.

AudiDoc :

so, if it's not that....

AudiDoc :

coolant temperature sensor (about $250 parts an labor)

AudiDoc :

air mass meter ($300)

AudiDoc :

Throttle body (rare, at $800)

AudiDoc :

but my gut sense is an unmetered leak

Customer:

It sounds like its not getting enough gas...like it chokes.

AudiDoc :

yes, exactly....

AudiDoc :

so all of the air into the engine is supposed to be measured by the air mass meter

AudiDoc :

make sense?

Customer:

It does.

AudiDoc :

so, if more air is introduced that the meter does not know about, then the mixture gets very lean

AudiDoc :

too much air for the amount of fuel injected

Customer:

OH! thats makes more sense.

Customer:

Ok, well thank you. Anything else you can think of that might help me?

AudiDoc :

I've hit the highlights. Anything else would be way off the radar

Customer:

Alright, let me rate you and be on my way. Any way I could contact you again in case I have future problems or perhaps give you feedback if you pointed out the right thing so you can use that as a reference?

AudiDoc :

sure one moment....

AudiDoc :

I'll give you a direct link to my page here

Customer:

that works.

AudiDoc :

Here you go: http://www.justanswer.com/car/expert-eurodoc/

And thanks for your service also (on a greater scale)

Customer:

I get paid for it haha but Thank you for that, means a lot.

AudiDoc :

Sure thing, and good luck with the fix. Take care

Customer:

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX well.

AudiDoc, Independent Audi Shop Owner
Experience: I've been working on Audis since I was 18 and own an independent Audi repair and performance shop