Chris (aka - Moose)
Chris (aka - Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience

Audi A4 Cabriolet: I have a 2004 A4 cab with 40k miles. Recently

I have a 2004 A4 cab with 40k miles. Recently started to make a faint whining noise with acceleration only -- sounds like a race car so my kids love it. Doesn't occur when car is in neutral and I rev engine. Hasn't affected performance; accelerates fine and no change in mpg. Any thoughts?

Hello, I'm Chris. Thanks for visiting Just Answer.

1) This is not an answer nor a direct info request to your concern.
2) First off I am checking to see if you have already resolved your concern.

3) If you do still need help, if there is anything more you think would help me answer your question, please reply with that info.

I am sorry you have had to wait so long for the first contact. Sometimes this happens when the question you ask is not detailed enough or its just hard to address online. Many have viewed your post, but have decided to pass. I will do my best to help you. I have access to many repair sites, so at the least I can provide something to address at least part of your concern if it is not something I can address from memory and experience.

I work on this site only in the evening hours 7 days a week. I am online normally from 3-midnight. At the latest you should get a response from me prior to 9pm TN time.

Thanks for using our site, we will do all we can to earn your business, again sorry we did not get to you sooner.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I haven't resolved my issue yet. Any thoughts on what could be causing the above-detailed, slight "whining" noise? Sounds a little bit like the sound a race car may make. Only occurs during acceleration. No change in auto performance, and no warning lights have ever come on.
I know this model has has some transmission issues. Is this sound consistent with an incipient transmission problem?
Normally a trans noise concern will be there only in certain gears if its a internal pressure concern. If its the differential then it will be there all the time and at all speeds. Other things to check are the wheel bearings and the tire wear surface. If you can get the car on a rack, then run it in gear to see if it occurs while off the ground so you can listen from underneath the car.