Euro Specialist
Euro Specialist, Technician
Experience:  Owner/Operator of a European automotive repair business
49268239

Audi A4 Quattro: I just bought a 2002 Audi A4 3.0; had battery

I just bought a 2002 Audi A4 3.0; had battery replaced at VW dealer; parked in garage for couple weeks; now when I turn the ignition over the horn is blasting and cannot drive at all. Is this the anti-theft system? Help! What do I need to do?

Euro Specialist :

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer

Euro Specialist :

when the car is doing this, close the driver door, and insert the key into the driver door

Euro Specialist :

turn the key to the unlock, then the lock, then the unlock position again, the alarm will turn off

Euro Specialist :

once that is done, need to figure out why the alarm went off in the first place

Customer:

I was only given 1 key!

Euro Specialist :

did you open the door from the "inside" of the car, reaching in through a lowered window?

Euro Specialist :

you should only need one

Euro Specialist :

take the key out of the ignition and use that key in the driver door

Euro Specialist :

you arent trying to "unlock" the door with the key when doing what i described above, you are "turning off the alarm"

Customer:

No. The key fob is locking and unlocking fine; it is just when I turn the ignition the horn blasts

Euro Specialist :

and stops when you remove the key from the ignition?

Customer:

Yes

Euro Specialist :

do me a favor and try the key in the driver door, then after unlocking with the key, try to start the car please

Euro Specialist :

also, if the vehicle has been sitting for three weeks, may need to put a battery charger on it in the future to prevent recurring issues

Euro Specialist :

or should i say " will continue to sit for weeks at a time" these vehicle have a lot of electronics in them and they do not do well sitting for long periods of time, aside from alarm issues, you end up with a lot of "no starting" issues

Customer:

Ok.. the window rolled up on its own; the car will start but the horn is still blasting when turned over

Euro Specialist :

do you have access to a battery charger?

Customer:

My neighbor has one. But it is a new Audi/VW battery and the car starts fine....?

Euro Specialist :

the car is starting, but im worried about a voltage drop when engaging the starter causing the alarm to do this, if thats not the case you have an electrical fault in the alarm

Euro Specialist :

doing what i told you to with the door should disable the alarm

Euro Specialist :

and its not that i think the battery is bad, but the battery may be low since the vehicle has been sitting for three weeks. the car is not designed to sit for weeks at a time in between drive cycles

Customer:

I had the car checked over at a VW dealership before this problem; had tail light bulb changed, new wiper assembly, headlight switch, oil change. The date on the dash was 'old' before I had this problem; now the date and time seems to be updated to current on the dash...could this be the problem?

Euro Specialist :

the alarm doesn't use the set time in its normal alarm function, so them changing the date shouldn't be a problem. they probably just changed the time for you as a courtesy after they replaced the battery and the clock defaulted to 12:00

Customer:

So I should just keep using the key to unlock/lock/unlock and try to start until the alarm resets?

Euro Specialist :

one time should be enough, if its not working on the first attempt, i doubt it will work on the 5th

Euro Specialist :

at this point we are assuming the alarm is acting funny due to low voltage, or that the alarm has a fault and you will need diagnostic software to proceed much further

Customer:

So what are my other options? I am afraid I will have to get it towed to the nearest Audi dealer...2 hours away.

Euro Specialist :

after putting a battery charger on the vehicle, letting the battery charge a little, and then retrying the unlock-lock-unlock, then starting - your next option would be to have it looked at by someone with the proper software to communicate with your alarm system. this doesn't necessarily mean dealership. Many independent repair shops that specialize in European automobiles have software that can communicate with your vehicles' alarm system

Customer:

Ok..I will try this. Thank you for your time

Euro Specialist :

you are very welcome. sorry the easy road didnt produce results yet

Euro Specialist :

feel free to keep me up to date on this message board and I will keep providing you advice. Once we are finished please take the time to rate my assistance ( either now or after you recharge and retest) - that is the only way i get compensated for my time