Roman
Roman, Technician
Experience:  over 20 years vw audi and porsche technical repair
35071616

audi A6 Quattro: rear coolant drain plug question

rear coolant drain plug question- how can I be sure system is flushed?

Category: Audi
Expert:  Roman replied 1 year ago.

Roman : Hello ,Here to answer automotive questions and make you feel comfortable and become familiar with your product. Are you talking about the one in the block between the trans and
Expert:  Roman replied 1 year ago.
The engine?Sorry I had to switch to this mode. Some reason I could not type into the space any longer.The plug will have a rubber o ring on it and will not look like a bolt. If this is the drain I think you are asking about.??Let me know so I can answer your question correctly.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes back just short of the transmission...appears to be 2 6 mm side by side..removed the one the instructions tell me to remove and no coolant...why is there 2 of these (neither look like a drain plug just a 6mm allen screw

Expert:  Roman replied 1 year ago.
Then you removed the wrong one. It's not easy to see it. You will need to use a long hex bit with a ball end to get to it easier. Once you pull it out the block will drain.all over the place.

Make sure the engine is hot when you pull the plug this ensures the thermostat is open. Or if you replace the water pump and thermostat temp won't matter. But make sure the engine is cold when you fill it.

Open the breeder on the top metal hose while filling till a solid stream comes out. Then stArt the engine,leave the bleeder open make sure its a solid stream again.

Let me know What happens
Expert:  Roman replied 1 year ago.
The plug is harder to see it is not exactly lined up straight for removal.

Put those back that you removed they are for the oil pan. You don't want to leak oil.
The drain plug is a different color, slightly. And has a bigger head. A goldish color. Not blue or green with a small head like you removed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yep, its not.breaking free yet.afraid ball allen will round it out...fyi I have radiator off and most all coolant removed

Expert:  Roman replied 1 year ago.
You can pull the thermostat and water pump only. To flush the block after its all together fill the with using a water hosp through the expansion tank. Leave the prefer open and run the engine. Let it get hot till the t t stat opens so you know water us flowing through the block. Turn on the heat, high but low fan. Once its flushed drain the radiator, pull the bottom hose. Then refill with straight coolant. You will be good after that.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok great, I can skip the plug in the back. thanks much!! attempting to replace cam and crank seals now... any tricks to assure success? have the correct audi tools...

Expert:  Roman replied 1 year ago.
Just double check there is 16 links between the cam marks before you put it all back together

There's not much else. Except to double check the work
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Not certain I understand

Expert:  Roman replied 1 year ago.
Are you removing the cams to replace the seal?
If not don't worry about that. I thought you were taking out the cams.

As long as you have seal installer you should be ok.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

nope, just the cam seals and yes I have the seal puller tool

Expert:  Roman replied 1 year ago.
Then you really should have no problem. You don't need to remove that block plug. You can flush the system the way I have described. I have come across the same situation at the dealer a number if times and this is how all the techs went about to flush the system.

Filling the radiator with coolant and block full of water will make a 50/50 mixture.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

new themostat is in, waterpump is out...surprise how clean the water was...I am thinking the new pump and gasket dont require any sealant?? is that a correct assumption???

Expert:  Roman replied 1 year ago.
No sealer if its a metal gasket
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Its paper material gasket...doesnt say anything about sealant and looks like old one didnt have any either...what do you think I should do??

Expert:  Roman replied 1 year ago.
You can use gaskets sealant on paper gaskets. The brown that does not dry and remains sticky is best. Made by permeate. Airplane sealant I think its called.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

any trick to get the seal pulley to dig into seal??

Expert:  Roman replied 1 year ago.
Pulley? Or puller? To remove the seal?
Pry it out.
Expert:  Roman replied 1 year ago.
How is it going?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Finished all three seals without issue...all seems to be good with timing as I have cam pulley s back on etc and new timing belt is under tension

Expert:  Roman replied 1 year ago.
Great, you did a did big job. Is there anything else I can help with don't hesitate to ass.
Did my answer help?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

had to leave out of town for work this week and wont get back to this until Friday so I hope to hell I dont forget anything! also hoping my timing wont be an issue as I followed instructions to a "t" and after manual 2X crank rotation the cams appear to return to correct alignment so...

Expert:  replied 1 year ago.
If you have any further questions for me just ask?
Roman, Technician
Experience: over 20 years vw audi and porsche technical repair
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The transmission occasionally has a slight shift delay at or around 30mph...any thoughts? Car did sit for a few months prior to use

Expert:  Roman replied 1 year ago.
are there any leaks?
Is the fluid full?

This is the first thing to check, then any logged faults.

Let me know?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no leaks, I will check fluid level again as I dont recall for certain and I can hook up my Ross-Tech software and run a scan this weekend when I get back home

Expert:  Roman replied 1 year ago.
ok let me know if you find something we will continue
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

almost done...

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Expert:  Roman replied 1 year ago.
excellent

no problems so far?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

she started up and runs smooth, no leaks to be found... was amazed the old coolant had no corrosion at all. need to add coolant after I determine system is empty...

Expert:  Roman replied 1 year ago.
Great. The coolant breaks down over time. You will not see any contamination unless its full of oil.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks again Roman, just finishing up some headlight issues with mount tabs and hope to address the transmission this weekend if not before

Expert:  Roman replied 1 year ago.
ok let me know if you have any questions?