Roman, Technician
Experience:  over 20 years vw audi and porsche technical repair

Audi A4 Quattro: Hey Roman, I changed out a 3 liter engine

Hey Roman,
I changed out a 3 liter engine on my A4 Quattro. This "new" engine has an oil leak on the lower half of the engine. What oil leak problems are common to these 3 liter engines?
Also whenever I start t6he car after it's been sitting for an hour or so, I can hear the lifters and rods knock a bit till the oil pressure comes up again. Do I need a new oil pump, or is there a pressure relief valve failing?
Hello ,Here to answer automotive questions and make you feel comfortable and become familiar with your productThere can be several different areas where oil leaks. Check the cam seals, check behind the timing belt. If it is leaking from around that area.As far as low oil pressure have you tested it? Do you have a oil pressure guage. You will remove the sensor and put the guage in its place stArt the engine let it warm up and check the specs
You can also check to see if the oil pan is leaking. There is an upper and a lower part.
Check to see if the oil pressure sensor or out filter housing is leaking. The most common area is the cam seals and on the 3.0 the can sprockets have oil seals which leak. Remove the timing covers to check. If its covered in oil you may need to decrease it, add dye, drive around for a while then come back and use a uv light.

Let me know WhAt you find?
How is it going?