Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  A.S.E. Master Technician, Advanced Level, Emissions - Asian, Domestic, & European

Audi A4 3.0: I just bought a 02 audi a4 3.0 quatro the engine

I just bought a 02 audi a4 3.0 quatro the engine wouldnt turn. When I looked at it the timing belt had been broke off it. And the passanger side cam gear was turning freely while the cam gear on the drive side I believe its the second one. Wont move at all. Is it possible that maybe the valves are bent..... also I have a 02 audi A6 3.0 quatro. Can I use that motor to replace the A4 if I can fix it

These engines are all interference type. Major internal damage usually occurs when the timing belt breaks while the engine is running.

There should be a label with the engine code right under the front engine cover, on top of the vacuum actuators. Look for code AVK. Everything should bolt on and harness and software should be interchangeable if both engines share the same code.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So pretty much the valves are bent. Is that what ur saying. If thats the case can I just replace the head. And is their anyway u can send me picks of the timing mark. So I can reset the time. If u could tell me how its done it will be great

Unfortunately, I meant internal engine damage, not just bent valves. I have yet to see one of these engines survive a broken timing belt.
If you are thinking about repairing that engine, I strongly recommend taking the heads off to inspect for damage to the cylinder walls and the pistons as well.
Please let me know if you still need repair instructions and pics.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Both of the motors have the same code. AVK. U think its gonna work

That's good news! Yes, it should be a straight swap.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

One last thing is their a way u can tell me how to take out the motor. Some picks would be great or a step by step

Certainly. I'll be back in a bit with your information.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

K thanks

OK. Click here for a link to step-by-step instructions from the Bentley's manual - I went through it and found it to be an identical copy of the Audi/VW factory manual.

Stay cool! Cool