Roman
Roman, Technician
Experience:  over 20 years vw audi and porsche technical repair
35071616

Audi A6 Quattro Avant: I HAVE AN 1999 AUDI A6 QUATTRO 2.8 ADVANT NEED

I HAVE AN 1999 AUDI A6 QUATTRO 2.8 ADVANT

NEED TO KNOW THE PROCEDURE REGARDING THE INSTALLATION OF THE TENSIONER WITH THE TENSIONER PULLEY
AND THE TORQUE IF NEEDED FOR THESE PARTS
Category: Audi
Expert:  Roman replied 1 year ago.
Hello ,
Here to answer automotive questions and make you feel comfortable and become familiar with your product which one?
For the accessory belt or timing belt.?
Please be a bit more descriptive when asking your question.

www.romanbsky.blogspot.com
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Timing belt

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have an oil leak were do I start

Expert:  Roman replied 1 year ago.
What have you done so far?
Have you bought the parts? Here is a great parts retailer for aftermarket Audi parts.

http://www.blauparts.com/proddetail.asp?prod=GH21112-1B

Do you have the tools to complete the job?
This site has ALL of the information you need.

Where is the oil leak?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

on this car i need to know the process of the timing belt tensioner part and the tensioner pulley please regarding installation and adjustment

Expert:  Roman replied 1 year ago.

Not sure what you mean? Do you mean how to adjust the tension on the pulley? upon installation on the new pulley you will fit an 8mm hex wrench between the dampner and the pulley then tighten the nut. only remove the pin after you made sure the tension is correct.

torque, tight but not too tight, don't break the bolt. A 13mm bolt has a torque of about 15-20 ft lbs

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

whats is the procedure for installation for the tensioner and the pulley for timing belt

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

What are the signs of a tension pulley going bad or not working

With the 8mm hex wrench do I turn the pulley clockwise to make sure the tensioner is free to pull the pin out and then tighten the bolt on pulley tensioner

Or do you have literature were I can read the procedure

What happen is that I installed the tensioner and pulley tensioner and

Went loss the timing belt

Expert:  Roman replied 1 year ago.

if the pulley makes noise or is seized it needs replacement. It seems that you did not tension the belt properly and it jumped time

Using 8 mm hex wrench, turn toothed belt tensioning roller counter-clockwise, until tensioning lever compresses tensioner s
Before starting engine, pre-load timing tensioning roller as follows:
Using a torque wrench with 8 mm hex bit, apply tension to toothed belt clockwise until a torque of 15 Nm is attained. This ensures tensioner has expanded completely and is properly engaging toothed belt.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Please is there any video on this

Expert:  Roman replied 1 year ago.
I don't have a video. If you follow my explanations you will have success putting tension on the pulley.
There is a metal tab on the pulley. With the damper compressed and the pin installed holding the damper you will torque as I explained above. Then after it is torque, pull the pun to release the damper.

If you cannot compress the damper replace it, the new in comes already compressed ready to install.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Myquestion is do I bolt or tighten thepulley before torqueing

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The pulley

Should it be first bolted to block engine and then torqued

Expert:  Roman replied 1 year ago.
You will use a torque wrench with a 8mm bit to torque the pulley then tighten the 13mm bolt down. You have to do it at the same time. Use a wrench on the 13 to tighten it.I hope that was clear?
Expert:  Roman replied 1 year ago.
Let me know how you are doing with this?
Expert:  Roman replied 1 year ago.
How is it going? Did my answer help?
Expert:  Roman replied 1 year ago.
How is it going? Did my answer help?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello again do I do the tensioner and pulley with the serpentine belt on please

Thank you

The adjustment and torqueing

Expert:  replied 1 year ago.
Yes, the belt must be installed so that the torque is applied against the belt. This is how to properly tension the belt.
Roman, Technician
Experience: over 20 years vw audi and porsche technical repair
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
good morning
i notice that my audi was running sluggish again
took of timing belt cover noticing that there was play with belt.
here i go again now taking all front nose off
and also seeing that underneath the crankshaft pulley there is oil drippings so again pulled off pulley and notice under sproket

back to timing belt I manually turned engine at crank case and notice that timing belt tightened up
what the hell is going on

could use the help

thank you again
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
good morning

what the hell is going on

could use the help

thank you again

NOW ON PULLEY--- 15NM TORQUEING IS IT THE SAME AS FOOT PER POUND SETTING
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Wondering

About timing belt tensioner

That when engine is not running does it losen up

I don't think so but let me know

Expert:  Roman replied 1 year ago.
no. once the belt is installed properly and tension is placed on it there is a hydraulic dampener which holds tension in place and keeps the belt from loosening up.

Over time, (many miles) the belt will stretch. By that time it will need replacement usually by the next recommended change interval.

You should not have to worry about that. It will either work as designed or it will fail. and usually happens all of a sudden. Make sure to follow the recommended maintenance schedule.

When was the last time the belt was changed? So long ago that it is stretched? Or had the tensioner/dampener never been replaced?

During belt replacement ensure to do a complete job and replace all recommended hardware.

This is where I get all of my aftermarket Audi parts

http://www.blauparts.com/audi/audi_timing_belt/audi_timing_belt_kit.shtml

Read through it. Look for a kit and it will have a lot of information needed for your car.

http://www.blauparts.com/categories2.asp?cat=428
Expert:  Roman replied 1 year ago.
15 newton meters is about 12 ft lbs
when you turn the crank it is normal for the belt to do that. The tensioner is placing tension
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Good morning

The tensioner was changed thispass summer

When the engine is not running does the tensioner reduces tenion then then tightens again

I ordered it from AUTOHAUZ SUPPLIERS

THE PULLEY I'D TIGHTEN AT 12LBS CLOCKWISE

Expert:  Roman replied 1 year ago.
correct, the tensioner self adjusts but initially will need to be set up properly.

11.5 lbs would be better, clockwise
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes

On the tensioner pulley

Then I crank the pulley back counter clockwise and then I pull the PIN

Out of the tensioner right and thats it

Thats Right

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I notice that im leaking oil from the crankshaft seal

how do I remove the sprocket

First of all find the location and lock the crankshaft with a pin type of tool that I need

thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i need to change the CRANKSHAFT SEAL

WHAT IS THE PROCEDURE TO DOING THIS

PULLEY OFF

I HAVE BELTS OFF

I HAVE SEAL AND CRANK PIN TO LOCK WERE IS THE LOCATION

TO LOCK THE CRANK SHAFT

THANK YOU