Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Audi Mechanic
Experience:  17 years experience as a auto mechanic, foreign and domestic.5 years running my own repair business.

ticking noise coming from engine.

ticking noise coming from engine mostly during cold start up, and once and a while when warmed up. What could this be. On an audi a4 2006. seem to go away in a very short period of time.

Hi,my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will assist you with your question. Is the check engine light coming on?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The check engine light is not coming on. The low oil pressure light came on a couple of times in the last 8 months for about a second or two. When this happened it was about 95 degrees outside.

The issue that you are describing is the lifters are not getting primed up with oil fast enough. The fact that the oil light came on a couple of times and the ticking noise indicates that the oil pump might be getting weak. What I would suggest as a first step is to have the oil pressure checked with a manual gage at idle,when the engine is cold,and when the engine is warm to determine if the pump is starting to become weak.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hey Mike, what would the average cost be to replace an oil pump, if done at a shop?

Thank you!! Paul.

This is a pretty job labor wise and would cost about $1000.00