Roman
Roman, Technician
Experience:  over 20 years vw audi and porsche technical repair

AUDI S4: HiIm working on 2005 audi s4 convertible and top

Customer Question

Hi
I'm working on 2005 audi s4 convertible and top is not working at all.
fuse is ok,pump motor is working manually (i gave straight power to pos. wire pump is spinning ),luck motor's are working manually.
let me know what should i do next please.
thank you.
Jora
Category: Audi
Expert:  Roman replied 1 year ago.
Hello ,
Here to answer automotive questions and make you feel comfortable and become familiar with your product.

Have you checked the logged faults first? Checking the faults should be the first step in diagnosis.
Do you have access to a scantool?

Look in the trunk, there is a handle which works the rear shelf. If this handle is binding and the shelf does not work it will keep the top from working.

Let me know what you find?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi again and thanks for your respond

I think it must be a handle problem,is this gonna happened with broXXXXX XXXXXdle?because handle on this car has a problem.

let me know please and thank you again

Expert:  replied 1 year ago.
yes, if the handle in the trunk to open and close the shelf is not working it will not activate the micros witch telling the roof to open/close.

If the cables are binding you will have to replace the entire shelf unit before the roof will work.
Roman, Technician
Experience: over 20 years vw audi and porsche technical repair
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi
I activate micro switch same and also I don't have scan tools for Audi
Expert:  Roman replied 1 year ago.
how did you get to the micro switch to activate it? I want to make sure that you are checking the correct one. This switch is found underneath the in back of the shelf. The shelf needs to be removed to access the switch.

You can go to pepboys,autozone or aamco to have the faults checked. List them here when you have them for evaluation
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Hi
After many days finally I received my part yesterday ( trunk box ).
I replaced complete box include all cables and micro switch .
I have same problem .
Top is not functioning and warning light in the dash shows top is open
Actually is blinking
Please help me
Thank you. Jora
Expert:  Roman replied 11 months ago.
you will need to scan the logged faults and erase them then re check to what faults have come back. Also, the basic settings/functions test needs to be carried out using vagcom. Do you have vagcom?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Thank you again and maybe this information can
Help me and you to find the problem.
I connect snap on scanner with European update
And there is many codes.
I cleared the Codes but nothing happened.
I read the code again only one code remained
02000 switch position not a plausible signal.
Let me know please if this code can help us
Expert:  Roman replied 11 months ago.
02000
this code states the you must complete basic functions test with vagcom scanner. The top needs to be manually adjusted at certain points in the function, then that value punched into the computer, clear the code, then it will work normal.

Audi A4/S4 B6/8E VCDS Info
Updated 21 Dec. 2010

Ross-Tech is not responsible for any damage or problems that may result from following these instructions. They are to be used at your own risk.

Dual K-Lines:
Depending on equipment level, the "new" Audi A4 can have so many control modules in it that putting them all on the same ISO9141 bus (K-Line) would exceed some of the electrical characteristics allowed by the spec. To get around this problem, the new A4 may have two K-lines. In "basic" cars, all control modules are on K1. In a car loaded with options, most control modules will be connected to K1 and will be accessible using all standard ISO9141 interfaces. However, a few modules may be connected to K2 instead of K1. We've heard from Europe that cars with Xenon headlights have the second K-line and cars without Xenon's don't, but we're not 100% sure this is is the dividing line in North American cars.

The dealers' solution is to put a VAS-6017 adapter between the scan-tool and the car. This device acts as an intelligent switch, making an automatic determination which K-Line a control module is connected to. The VAS-6017 works fine with the interface adapters supplied with VCDS, but it is pricey, expect to pay over $200 if you want to buy one of these. Naturally, a less expensive solution is available to VCDS users. All of our current Interfaces fully support for the dual K-lines.

KWP-2000:
A number of the control modules in the new A4 use the new KWP-2000 protocols for the data-transport layer. KWP-2000 has some different features from the KWP-1281 protocol, see our Function Chart for details. You should use the latest version of VCDS for the most complete functionality.

Note:
The settings described below were tested on our 2002 development vehicle. Although VCDS works great with the 2003+ models, many of the coding and adaptation options may not work in the 2003 and newer models. If/when someone finds the 2003+ options, we'll gladly post them here.

Specific Modules:

01-Engine: K1 -- KWP-2000
Works fine.

02-Auto Trans : K1 -- KWP-2000
Tiptronic: VCDS is reported to work well.
: Is also reported to work fine.

03-ABS Brakes: K1 -- KWP-1281
VCDS works fine

08-HVAC: K1 -- KWP-1281
VCDS Works fine

09-Elem. Ctrl. Mod. K1 – KWP1281
VCDS works fine.

Tweak: Coding options for lighting Coding is 000XY.

X=1 for Xenon Headlights,
X=0 for conventional Halogens.

Country DRLs: Fogs w/o low beams:
Y=1 RDW (Rest of World) No Yes
Y=2 NDL (Netherlands) Yes Yes
Y=3 USA No No
Y=4 KAN (Canada) Yes Yes
Y=5 DAN (Denmark?) Yes Yes
Y=6 SON (Other?) Yes Yes

Fogs w/o low beams only appears to work on 2002 models. For 2003+ models, we know of no way to run the fogs without the low beams, except Canadian, which turns on Daytime Running Lamps (DRL's). We are not sure why there are so many Yes/Yes combinations; there must be some other features controller by this. The state of the Radio and Climate Control lighting is affected by this coding as well.

15-Airbags: K1 – KWP-2000
VCDS works well with present limitations of KWP-2000 support

16 – Steering Wheel K1 – KWP1281
VCDS appears to work fine.
Interesting to note that this module exists even in cars without any control buttons on the steering wheel.

17-Instruments: K1 -- KWP-1281
VCDS Works fine.

Tweak:
There are four lighting modes:
Mode 0: Nothing lit until ext. light on
Mode 1: Pointers lit all the time
Mode 2: Scales lit all the time
Mode 3: Pointers and Scales lit all the time
Mode is changed in Adapation Channel 19. Standard value should be 11000 (or something close). The first (left-most) digit is the lighting mode.

22-AWD – Not applicable to any A4/A6/A8!
The quattro system in these cars is purely mechanical, no electronics at all. This address is used by the Haldex system used in transverse-engine cars like the TT, the A3, and various Golf/Bora models.

35-Cent. Locks: Not applicable. All functions moved to 46-Cent.Conv.

36-Driver’s Seat: K2-KWP1281
VCDS appears to to work fine.

37-Navigation: Not tested. Expect to find it on K2.

45-Interior Monitor: K1 -- KWP-1281
VCDS Works fine.

Tweak:
Adaptation Channel 01 is sensitivity (default 100).

46 - Central Convenience: K1-- KWP1281
VCDS works well. We've had some problems with errors while getting the Door-Slave part numbers. If VCDS errors out while trying to display the information in the "Extra" fields, go to the Options Screen and set "Char Int" to 0.

There are numerous options/ features that can be set. These are controlled by the Coding and in Adaptation Channel 62. When we published a simple table, many people didn't understand it, so here's an explanation:

Let's look at Adaptation Channel 62 first (it is simpler, fewer bits than the Coding). The original value in a US 3.0L model is 95. Both a real VAG tool and VCDS display these values in decimal. 95 decimal is 5F hex, or 01011111 in binary.

Value: 01011111
Bit: 76543210

Now we can correlate the bits with the chart
for Adaptation Channel 62:

State Bit Dec. Function
ON 0 1 windows up with remote
ON 1 2 windows down with remote
ON 2 4 windows up with key in lock
ON 3 8 windows down with key in lock
ON 4 16 sunroof close with remote
OFF 5 32 sunroof open with remote (does not appear to work)
ON 6 64 sunroof close with key in lock
OFF 7 128 sunroof open with key in lock (does not appear to work)

Also, you will see if we add up the decimal values for each of the bits that are ON, we can verify that we did it right because we got the original Adaptation value of 95.

1 + 2 + 4 + 8 + 16 + 64 = 95.

By now you're likely starting to wonder why "Windows with Remote" stuff doesn't work since the appropriate bits appear to be ON. To answer this question, we need to look at the coding the same way. The original coding in this car is 11788 (decimal). That's 2E0C in hex or 010111000001100 in binary. Again, we can again correlate the binary bits with the function table, just like we did above.

Central Convenience Controller Coding:

State Bit Dec. Function
OFF 0 1 Great Britain- alarm system (only with bit 4)
OFF 1 2 flash on when arming/unarming alarm system
ON 2 4 selective locking 1 door/all doors
ON 3 8 activate alarm system
OFF 4 16 rear unlocking block via speed
OFF 5 32 locking via speed
OFF 6 64 comfort functions with remote (adapt in ch 62!!)
OFF 7 128 right side steering
OFF 8 256 avant (glass break sensors in rear side-and rear
windows (if error: safe-LED constantly lit ))
ON 9 512 1x flash when lock with remote
ON 10 1024 horn sounds when lock with remote
ON 11 2048 door/window-logic ( ignition off: No open door
el. windows works 10 min )
OFF 12 4096 normal/????-alarm system
ON 13 8192 No SAFE-function USA only
OFF 14 16384 insulate-glass PR-nr 4KR/4KV

Again, we can verify that we did this correctly by adding up all the decimal values for the bits that are ON:

4 + 8 + 512 + 1024 + 2048 + 8192 = 11788.

Now notice that bit 6 with a value of 64 and function "comfort functions with remote (adapt in ch 62!!)" is OFF !!! So in order to turn this ON, we need to add 64 to the original coding. 11788 + 64 = 11852. Recode the module with that number. Once you do that, the options in Adaptation Channel 62 should take effect, and you can change the value there to "fine tune" the features..

If you wanted to add "locking via speed" (where the car locks itself as soon as you reach some low speed), you would add 32.

If you wanted to turn Selective Locking OFF, (so the entire car unlocks with one press of the unlock button on the remote) you would subtract 4.

Hopefully this makes sense to everyone..:-)

55-Headlight Range: K2-KWP1281
VCDS Seems to work fine.
Note this controller is only present on cars with Xenon headlights.

56- Radio: K2 – KWP1281
VCDS appears to work fine, but we don't entirely trust any Audi Radio..:-)
We have not identified any tweaks at this time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kj_K1BkceOE