Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database

Audi TT Quattro: There is smoke pouring out of the passenger

There is smoke pouring out of the passenger side fan. It smells like a combination of rubber and electrical. It is a 2003 Audi TT Quattro. Can I unplug it for a quick fix? Does the fan need to be replaced? What could it be? Please help me!
Category: Audi
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm here to help get your problem solved. I am sorry to hear about the fan problem, the good news is it is pretty minor. Fans do not usually start smoking like that but it does happen time to time and there is nothing else that is in the area that would smell electrical. Unplugging it should be fine as long as you do not do a of sitting in one area. Just unplug it and monitor the coolant gauge more often, you might also not be able to use the AC but you can try while watching gauge. Let me know how it goes or if you have any other questions, thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Where is the plug located? I can't find it

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
There is a cable that comes off the bottom of the fan and then you need to follow it about 1-2 feet to the connector. Let me know if you have problems and I can try to find a picture, thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Does it connect to the driver's side fan? I am just not finding it

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

I just realized both fans come together in one connector so you will need to cut the wire at the fan or disconnect both fans which I do not recommend. Cut the black/brown wire at the drivers side fan which is the ground and will stop it from working. Sorry about confusion, let me know how it goes or if you run into questions. Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Cut the wire at the driver's side or the passenger's side??? The passenger's side is the one that is smoking. I need the driver's one to work.

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Cut the black/brown wire at passenger side, sorry about the typo. When you mentioned the connector being on drivers side of fan assembly it threw me off for a second. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

If I just want to replace it, do I have to replace both fans since they are on the same connector?

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
You can get separate fans but then you will need to cut the wires and rewire them in. To keep everything original you would want to replace the complete assembly. The fan assembly new at dealer is around $300 or $50 for the one fan on ebay possibly your local parts store. Let me know if you have any other questions, thanks.
Dan, Technician
Experience: Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database