Roman, Technician
Experience:  over 20 years vw audi and porsche technical repair

Audi A4: Specs 98 audi a4 2.8 30vok so im getting a random

Specs 98 audi a4 2.8 30v

ok so im getting a random miss code and cyl 4,5,6 missfire code, so powerful ive blown two
oem catalytic converters, so far
-ignition coils
-fuel filter
-tiiming belt
-plugs & gaped @.32
-plug wires
-cleaned intake manifold
-replaced entire pcv system
-replaced valve cover gaskets

etc. at the moment i suspect that the cam chain tensioner is the problem so i took a video of its actions while i rotate the engine:

the problem head's tensioner doesnt really move when i turn the crank pully, also when i put the car at tdc the line for the crank pully is not matching the line for the cams

Here are the links:

ive already sunk $1,000 into this problem so i want to be sure the tensioner is the problem before i buy another.
Hello ,
Here to answer automotive questions and make you feel comfortable and become familiar with your product

"also when i put the car at tdc the line for the crank pulley is not matching the line for the cams"
What about the timing mark on the crank shaft? Line that up first then look to the cams.
If they are not in line the timing is off.
Make the crank XXXXX XXXXXne up then recheck the timing marks, let me know what you have. I see your photos but it looks as if the crank it off
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Abosolutely 100% right Roman only took about two hours to fix and about another hour to assemble and im back on the road, getting a lot of smoke from the engine bay tho, i hope this is due to me spilling coolant everywhere.

You sir are awesome!

and believe it or not the mechanic at my indy shop said that it wasnt off enough to effect the operation of the vehicle.

Hello Austin,

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

Is the car running ok? Let me know if you have additional questions. Otherwise you can rate the answer and keep driving.