Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master, 30+ years exp. imports and domestic, former shop owner
2947720

Audi A4 Quattro: Hi , I own a 2007 Audi A4 quattro. Has

Hi ,

I own a 2007 Audi A4 quattro. Has 106k miles on it. I am out of the country right now and someone is using the car. The battery died on her the other day. She took it to an authorized audi service center and they quoted like 3500 for a whole bunch of stuff. I think they are ripping her off. The battery change is 353 bucks so i think that is okay. I dont have a choice and Im happy to have it changed by an authorized dealer instead of an independent mechanic.

Question I have is this - can i wait till i am back in the US to change the timing belt. I am going back in one month and the car will probably have 108k miles on it. These guys are charging my friend 2k for a timing belt change which i know is crap cos i have received two quotes before and both are 1-1.2k.

Can i just change the battery and then go back and get the timing belt changed myself? Or is it too big a risk to take?
Category: Audi
Expert:  Jerry replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome, Super mechanic here. Thank you for trusting us with your vehicle concerns, I will do my best to help you with your question.

The timing belt on the turbo engine is due at 75K miles and of course would be sort of a gamble to chance it. lso, $2K is rather steep for the job. The belt and water pump, along with a tensioner is around $300 or so, (factory pricing) and the labor time is roughly 5 hours.

.

..

If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation.

.

If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service.

.

Thanks

Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience: ASE Master, 30+ years exp. imports and domestic, former shop owner